Sight upgrade on the Rossi R92 carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Sight upgrade on the Rossi R92 carbine

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I absolutely love love LOVE this little lever lead spitter, but the sights have always left something to be desired. Once again I was going to be a copycat and try the bolt peep sight but I didn't want to have the empty dove tail in the barrel and I don't care for the blank inserts. So I took a chance on another Skinner sight and this time I wasn't let down by the amount of fitting required to get this one in place. They have a model that is a peep mounted to the barrel and the website says it works the same so here was to hope... The front sight came from Steve's Gunz and is the exact reason I'm not so keen on Skinner's products. Zero fitting required. It was even made to ease in the fit by beveling the entry edge. The man knows how to make parts. The big change on it is it's a 1/32" bead which covers less of the target. Tap, tap, tap with the hammer and it was home.

This:

Plus this:

Gave me this at sight in at 15 yards first 16 shots:

I should add that the center target is mine and the left and right were leftovers left behind from before I got there. I don't buy fancy colorful targets and while they are neat I just won't spend the money on them.

Fett starting talking junk and I wasn't hearing it, so at 50 yards I gave him a stern talking to 140gr SWC style:

The group did open up but I don't feel bad since this is hands down the BEST grouping I've ever had with this gun. And while my goofy targets are fun, they don't have a good spot to really focus on very well. I should bring a red magic marker and draw a focal point on them. I can't even always see where I'm hitting them if the lighting isn't just right. So maybe i should try some fancy targets...

I'm loving this combo. The funny thing is I was expecting the peep to be harder to see through so I didn't order a smaller aperture to try and shrink the view any. It comes with the middle of the road option and I think I may just try a smaller one to see if it helps at longer distances. So now the target doesn't hide behind the front sight and the rear doesn't force the view of the target to disappear on me while I'm trying to balance the front and rear sights. The one and only downer is windage adjustment still has to be done by drifting the sights and I'm a little to the left still. No adjusting them without having the bench. The rear peep may diminish the style of the gun but it's so functional that I just don't care. I didn't remember the barrel comes drilled and tapped so I will have to find some filler caps for the empty spots but that should be easy enough to find. Bottom line, I'm super pleased with these changes and would recommend them to anyone on the fence about changing out their sights for anything similar.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sight upgrade on the Rossi R92 carbine

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had tried the Skinner sight on another R92 I had and really liked it. He does good work! :P
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

My only beef is the amount of work they take. They require the most fitting I've ever had in an aftermarket part and are covered in sharp edges. But it does work and that's what counts in the end. And it works very well indeed.
wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb »

Maximumbob - any chance you could take a photo of what the sight picture looks like when you're aiming and post it here?
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Before you look at the pic, this is the opposite of what your eye sees... I can't get the camera to focus on the front sight so it looks blurred when the rear should be blurred and your eye focuses on the front.

So I can't really get the way it actually looks. :oops:
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

It looks like that combination is working good for you.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb »

That is exactly what I was hoping to see. Thank you.

A sweet set up.