Forearm Tip Fit Question

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forearm Tip Fit Question

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had not done any of the SG work on my Braztech R92 chambered in 45 Colt and I wanted to investigate the forearm fit at the Tip band as this rifle does have a shot string issue at the bench. As I removed the Forearm Tip Screw, I could feel a tremendous amount of pressure behind it and the band so this is where I started my work. The first issue was the terrible fit of the magazine tube through the forearm. There had been so much pressure on this portion of the forearm, between the barrel and magazine tube, that there was a large crack running the entire length. I pulled out my widdling knife and went to work removing the wood and it is now like a Marlin forearm, nothing between the barrel and tube.

The Forearm Tip screw also was also binding against the barrel. I carefully cut the clearance deeper using the depth of the front sight dovetail as a "depth not to exceed" but I did not need to cut it that deep.

I also had to relieve the fit of the band a bit further back on the forearm. This picture is before I followed up with the Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain which was an exact match for the finish.

Everything slides together like a glove now but I cannot get the screw to thread in, it is slightly short. I have carefully adjusted the band in a gunsmith's vice but whatever is done is not done enough. The screw cannot engage the threads. There is no pressure on anything and as you can see in the above photo the screw is seated. I've removed the band and screw off my Puma 92 and they are mirrored parts in all dimensions. The Puma parts have the same problem. I had thought about ordering a replacement band and screw but I don't think it will help. This screw goes from contact to fully seated in less than three revolutions so there is not much to work with. Now the said part, I've tried for two days solid to join the two screw to the band. Does anybody have any ideas.

This rifle is under warranty but I am not going to return it because the first thing they would do would be to replace the forearm and then use extreme pressure and glue. If you notice the marks on the band of the last picture, I believe that is evidence that the band was placed in a vice and assembled because of the problem I am experiencing. I am at a loss as the fit is perfect around the barrel and forearm.

This is the rifle that had the extra long screws in the scope mount and in that it wasn't secured, whoever assembled it just glued the base down! I did see a Rossi Single Shot Rifle Scope Base at Academy so I bought it. The screws with it where a perfect fit.

Again, does anybody have any ideas about getting this rifle together?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Forearm Tip Fit Question

Post by akuser47 »

I have refinished two rossi 92 stocks and this happened both times to me I could not get the threads to engage the band so I called Steve up to ask him. He said that the best thing to do is to bear down on it to push it into the band and it's threads works but you have to be careful not to slip the driver and damage the stock or metal. Both 92's I have refinished I had to do this the hardest thing I have had to deal with on the 92's slicking the action up is less headache I laid some carpet on my becnch clamped it into place to keep my rifle from moving and pushed it down with muscle and my excessive size they go back in. Don't do what I first did decided to recess the counter sink a little more thinking that it would sure it up wrong did nothing after a few thousands of an inch inleted into the counter sink. that was when I call Steve and he told me what I told you.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I have refinished two rossi 92 stocks and this happened both times to me I could not get the threads to engage the band so I called Steve up to ask him. He said that the best thing to do is to bear down on it to push it into the band and it's threads works but you have to be careful not to slip the driver and damage the stock or metal. Both 92's I have refinished I had to do this the hardest thing I have had to deal with on the 92's slicking the action up is less headache I laid some carpet on my becnch clamped it into place to keep my rifle from moving and pushed it down with muscle and my excessive size they go back in. Don't do what I first did decided to recess the counter sink a little more thinking that it would sure it up wrong did nothing after a few thousands of an inch inleted into the counter sink. that was when I call Steve and he told me what I told you.
Thanks for the tip akuser47 but I have already tried that and cannot make screw contact with the threads. I've already scratched the barrel with a screw driver blade and ran one through the meat between my thumb and first finger. This has really got me stumped, I have never been skunked by a rifle. Might have to send it to them but I'm worried what they will send back.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I know I had alot of trouble with this both times as well. I got really frustrated and hated it till I finally got mad and put some heavy effort into it. I tried my vise and padded C clamps and I couldn't get it with them. Sorry to hear this Please keep us posted to how you get it taken care of. I would like to see an easier way for the barrel band to be used on these rifles as it is a pain in the butt the way it is.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I know I had alot of trouble with this both times as well. I got really frustrated and hated it till I finally got mad and put some heavy effort into it. I tried my vise and padded C clamps and I couldn't get it with them. Sorry to hear this Please keep us posted to how you get it taken care of. I would like to see an easier way for the barrel band to be used on these rifles as it is a pain in the butt the way it is.
I hear you. Forearm removal in my neck of the woods is a must with the high humidity. I had a fellow look at it this afternoon and he was baffled. I'm trowing in the towel and contacting Rossi in the morning for a warranty repair as this will be a reoccurring issue and I don't want to loose any more time now or down the road. I will see what they do to correct the issue and that will determine the fate of this firearm.

The rifle had been on late night hog watch at the backdoor but it was replaced with my Marlin 1894FG chambered in 41 Mag.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Based on my understanding of the problem,
The BBand screw has shrunk?
I don't think so. When it was originally seated the band was under compression (side to side)
Padded clamps would do it or (my preferance) a carpenters vise (wooden jaws).
squeeze the band to allow the screw to reach.
It's a common problem with ALL LA carbines. Winchesters included.
That is if I understood your explanation.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:The rifle had been on late night hog watch at the backdoor but it was replaced with my Marlin 1894FG chambered in 41 Mag.
Just looked out the door as I was heading to bed and a large sow was trailing a bunch of little ones across my yard about 70-yards out. FG put it on her, she's dead.
Pepe Ray wrote:Based on my understanding of the problem,
The BBand screw has shrunk?
I don't think so. When it was originally seated the band was under compression (side to side)
Padded clamps would do it or (my preferance) a carpenters vise (wooden jaws).
squeeze the band to allow the screw to reach.
It's a common problem with ALL LA carbines. Winchesters included.
That is if I understood your explanation.
Pepe Ray
I've tried all that Pepe, I have a bunch of levergun experience under my belt and I have NEVER experienced this before. I have even place the rifle on the floor with a light layer of cork behind it, knelt on the forearm placing my entire 250# on it, and all the upper body strength I can must and it will still not mate. I can pull everything apart with forefinger and thumb, no resistance. Once apart, you can use forefinger and thumb to run the screw into the band. I can also use my forefinger and thumb to assemble the forearm and band, no resistance. A punch of appropriate size can pass freely through the band ports without any barrel and tube contact. I have a gunsmith vice that is appropriate for the work and have applied enough pressure that I feel I'm just a degree from crushing the forearm but yet the screw will not mate with the band. Like I have noted, I've never seen anything like this with any hardware my hands has ever touched.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Up this morning prepping to call Rossi but oh these guys are smart
Rossi Long Gun Repair Policy:What does this policy not cover? wrote:This policy does not cover stock and forend...
I guess they are tired of working on them as well.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is bad news, Maybe give Steve a call see if he has any other tricks for this. It is to bad that the bands aren't sold as parts so you could work on a one knowing you had a spare. Good luck keep us posted
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Michael;
With the band removed entirely from the carbine, will the screw thread into its hole far enough
for the head to seat properly?
Esentially this is checking, only for good thread mating, but may also show any warping of
the band which would disallow engagement.
And the results are? Holding my breath-------- - - - --_______________ZZZZZZZZZZZ

PepeR
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.