How can I tell if my Puma '92 is mfg by Chiappa or Rossi?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I ( Arktikos) found this on the Chiappa site which tells how to tell the manufacturer of Puma 92's

Starting January 1, 2009, the Puma model 92s & Bounty Hunter Model 92 Pistols were manufactured by Chiappa Firearms.

All of these rifles, carbines & pistols will be marked manufactured by Chiappa Firearms for "LSI" They will all have a prefix of "T" for their serial numbers.

If your Puma '92 does not have these features, it is probably a model manufactured by Rossi prior to January 1, 2009.

Please note that there was inventory of Rossi manufactured products sold by Legacy Sports after that date. This is very important information for service and warranty repair.

The Chiappa Firearms provides NO warranty repair or service on products manufactured by Rossi.
Michael
steveschu

Re: How can I tell if my Puma '92 is mfg by Chiappa or Rossi

Post by steveschu »

Will someone help me determine the manufacturer and date of my Puma 92? The serial number does not have a prefix 'T,' it begins with 92. 9200XXX. It has Chiappa Italy on the barrel. Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

steveschu wrote:Will someone help me determine the manufacturer and date of my Puma 92? The serial number does not have a prefix 'T,' it begins with 92. 9200XXX. It has Chiappa Italy on the barrel. Thanks!
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone has the information you are looking for. From what I have observed so far, serial numbers are all over the map.
Michael
steveschu

Post by steveschu »

Ranch Dog wrote:
steveschu wrote:Will someone help me determine the manufacturer and date of my Puma 92? The serial number does not have a prefix 'T,' it begins with 92. 9200XXX. It has Chiappa Italy on the barrel. Thanks!
Greetings and welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone has the information you are looking for. From what I have observed so far, serial numbers are all over the map.

Thanks for the welcome. You must be correct about the serial numbers.....and the 'T' prefix to the serial number is not gospel. I researched the proofing stamps and my 92 is a Chiappa with a date stamp of 2012. Good to know should I need replacement parts although I understand Chiappas specifications are interchangeable with Winchesters.
FourFingersofDeath

Post by FourFingersofDeath »

If you paid through the nose, it is probably a Chiappa! lol
TXwaterdog

Post by TXwaterdog »

On the Rossi 92 it's stamped who built & imported it.
Last edited by TXwaterdog on 01 Feb 2013 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I own a Chiappa 92 in 44 Mag.
Just hadta see for myself what the rich folk shot........$350 more than the equivalent Rossi 92.
Smooth, slick with impeccable w/m fit & very attractive walnut furniture NIB and my toolbox stayed on the shelf. :mrgreen:
Excellent quality (I believe "Marble" brand) factory sights.................no evidence of Krazy Glue in the dovetails.......... just old fashioned proper fitting and due diligence.
Pulled it apart & checked it over and swabbed the barrel & tube magazine out (routine for any new levergun purchase I make)........not a single left over ridge of metal or machining burr to grind down and polish and the gun was clean of grease, grindings and dirt.
The superior QC and workmanship were apparent from the time I lifted the gun out of the box and the gun was obviously made by a company that gave a damn about the quality of product that went out their factory door.
Confess that I didn't check the forearm but I would bet my next paycheck that it was properly fitted and wasn't put on by "Popeye" and his trusty pipe wrench.
2 hours after opening the box I was at the range shooting..........action was smooth and accuracy good.
Obvious QC, good workmanship and "good to go" right out of the box but you pay another 30 - 40 % over the Rossi purchase price for the privilege of leaving the toolbox on the shelf & just going shooting without any aggravation.
I'd still rather buy a Rossi, keep the $350 price difference in my wallet, and do the finishing work myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RevJim

Post by RevJim »

If I understand this right, my NIB Puma Rossi (which is enroute) 92 has LSI on the box, but it may not be a Chiappa, but a left over inventory Rossi? I don't know the date of manufacture either, just curious is all. either way, I'm committed to it, ha.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

If it's a Navy Arms 1892, they were made by Rossi and will have the A. Rossi rollstamp on the lower tang under the lever. The Navy Arms stamp is on the upper tang. The only other markings on mine besides the serial number on the bottom of the receiver is the caliber stamp on the barrel.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR