new model 92 questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
twoshotc

Re: new model 92 questions

Post by twoshotc »

I took the suggestion about using a piece of aluminum from a coke can and that seems to have taken care of the loose sight problem. Thanks for that idea.
I will run the Steves gunz cd in the next couple of days to see what I will do next
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

I just bought a Rossi 92 carbine (16"bbl) (38/357). I have done hours of online reading about the quirks and glitches that may or may not "need to be fixed". I decided to do a couple of fixes myself.

Out of the box, mine seems to cycle ok, though I'm new to lever actions. I do need to get to refinish the sharp edges and stiff spring of the loading gate.

I ordered Steve's Gunz stainless steel magazine follower, removed the yellow plastic OEM part, and installed the real deal. Be careful when unscrewing the retainer screw that holds the magazine cap in place. That cap is NOT threaded into the magazine even though there's a "screwdriver slot" in the end of it. That magazine spring will send parts flying if you don't contain it. The hardest part of that job was getting the factory installed screw to break loose without damaging the screw head. Be sure to use the right size and type of screwdriver. A gentle, firm re-torque of that retainer screw will be sufficient, as there is little other stress on the threading.

I also decided to replace the buckhorn sights with a Marble 2-3/4" ghost ring sight. I applaud the suggestion of using a hardwood drift, but that might give too much when hit or break if the dovetail is resistant to the work. As others have suggested a brass drift and a 1lb ball peen worked very smoothly on my carbine sights... Left to right removal... right to left installation. Always use a hammer that is big enough for the job. When striking a punch for drifting purposes, it is virtually always easier to get good results when using a bigger hammer than a smaller one, as less swinging speed is needed to achieve the same force of impact. A slower moving hammer is always easier to control. My rear dovetail was perfectly matched to the OEM buckhorn sight, and the replacement Marlin ghost ring was likewise a perfect match. Someone has been listening to all the previous complaints and evidently reducing variances and improving parts interchangability. THAT has always been a plus for end users, refitters, and those doing repairs. My only hiccup in reinstalling the ghost ring was slightly overdrifting it, past midpoint. Now I just need to find a way to do a final sighting check and take it to the range... after I get those sharp edges off the loading gate and reduce the infernal tension on that gate spring.

Nice to be able to share these retrofit experiences, after benefitting from all the fixit comments that I've read in this Rossi forum and elsewhere. God bless you folks!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If u have a cheap keychain laser at given distance you can get a sloppy bore sighting to hopefully get u on paper faster. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

craiginct wrote:Nice to be able to share these retrofit experiences, after benefitting from all the fixit comments that I've read in this Rossi forum and elsewhere. God bless you folks!
Yes, it looks like you have it going on! Good work!
Michael
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

One trick I forgot to mention...
I don't have any fancy gun-specific benches, rests, vises, or tools. To do the rear sight replacement I took a pair of thin leather palm & finger work gloves ($3 a pair) and wedged them into my old crappy bench vise, then inserted the 92 with stock still attached, into the grip of the gloves and vise, using only enough force to restrain the gun throughout the r&r process. perfect replacement, no marring, AND cheap solution.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Now thats innovation def. Keep us posted.
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

Good evening, gentlemen!
I picked up my Rossi 92 24" octagonal, on Monday. Yesterday I replaced the magazine follower with Steve's SS piece. The 'funny' thing is that Rossi had installed TWO plastic followers in my magazine. Took a slight poke in the exit direction to loosen the second one, and with a puff of air it flew out of the open magazine end on it's way to the spares pile along with the first one and the plastic follower from my 16" carbine.

Today, I R&Rd the buckhorn on the 24"er. Unlike the nice snug dovetail on the 16"er, Rossi had slightly hacked the dovetail and distorted it vertically so that the buckhorn sight almost flew out of the slot when I tapped it with the brass drift. I opted to lightly peen the distorted dovetail edges until they conformed to the plane of that upper surface of the bbl. Once that light peening was gently accomplished, I had a nice snug dovetail slot again and the new Marble ghost ring sight installed smartly with light taps of the brass drift and 16oz ballpeen. Again, I stress to new tool users, the force/inertia of a moderately heavier hammer is much easier to control in situations like this as the user can start with much slower and more deliberate, gentler swings of the striking instrument, as a lighter hammer would require a much faster hand movement to effect the same expected impact on the target area that one is working.

Anyway, those two projects are done, and I'm waiting for the 38/357 laser bore sighter to true up the ghost rings statically, before taking my twins to the range. I LOVE the solid feel of the 24" bbl, a real bull bbl for longer shots. Even doing rapid fire, the 24" octagon should soak up the heat of the magnums with no problem. Still waiting to hear from the range to which a applied for membership.

I'm sorely tempted to get my diamond needle files out, tonight, and start cleaning up the edges of the loading gate on the rifle and carbine, but that won't help the gate spring, which is very stiff on both pieces. I'm still tempted to have local smith do a quick cleanup on both of them just so I can get to the range quicker. Who has an itchy trigger finger?! ME?! +guns
craiginct

Post by craiginct »

p.s. I went blued all the way on my Rossi 16" & 24", and on my Taurus. I'm thinking more of undesirable visibility, these days, should some SHTF situation arise in our lifetime. Stainless may be nice for the range or general maintenance, but hunting and other situations seem to reasonably call for lower profile.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well put Hey maybe you can save those extra followers as backups to others you never know may come in handy. Glad you got her ready now get some range time and see what she does for you. Keep us posted. +corn
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

craiginct wrote:GThe 'funny' thing is that Rossi had installed TWO plastic followers in my magazine.
That is funny!
Michael