Scout Scopes

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scout Scopes

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been really enjoying my 92 with the scout scope mount but never realized how few actual "scout" scopes there are out there. A pistol/handgun scope does not make a scout scope. The scout scope has about 2 1/2 times the eye relief of a regular rifle scope and the pistol/handgun scope has twice the eye relief of the scout scope.

Surprisingly, there is a very short list of only four specifically made for a scout rifle. I've found a couple of other brand names but they seem to be rebanded NcSTAR scopes.

Note dated 07/9/13: There is a new offering as reported by Airwolf: the Leatherwood Hi-Lux ATR Long Eye Relief Scout Rifle Scope 2-7x 32mm 2-Plex Reticle Matte. I would appreciate any first hand evaluations of this product so that I could add it to the chart!

Note dated 06/17/2012: I have updated the chart below, dropping the NcStar scout Rifle offering as that scope has been dropped from their product line and old inventory has been consumed. Further, the Burris scout scopes are back on retailer shelves and I corrected the weight of the Weaver Scout.

I originally bought the NcSTAR 1.5 and have an older Bushnell Phantom but neither of these fill the bill. As the pistol scope comes up to the point, on a scout rifle, the immediate sight picture just isn't quite right as your eyeball and head position tries to figure out what is needed in distance from the eye bell. The specific scout scopes are immediately THERE. Help from some very knowledgeable sources soon had them available to evaluate. The Leupold and Weaver have been dropped from my personal consideration, they might be right for you however. The Weaver was simply too "bulky" on the little '92 but I suspect it would be perfect for some of the more recent bolt guns offered in this configuration. The view through the Leupold was simply not on par with the Burris. This said, the NcSTAR appears to be a carbon copy of the Burris but with the larger 30mm tube (1" vs. 1.18"). In view, that silly little .18" seems huge. It will be interesting to see how the $65 scope completes with the legendary Burris, I will keep you posted.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 06 Mar 2012 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Scout Scopes

Post by Pepe Ray »

I can't offer more in the line of NEW products BUT if one is inclined to shop for preowned sights they should be aware that
Burris offered a 1X for several years after introduction.
Also in the early '70's (IIRC) Redfield produced a couple of scopes called FrontIER model. These were for the Model94 Winchester
specifically. They required a dedicated mounting base which incorporatedted an adjustable middle sight to replace the factory
sight which must be removed to install the base. The sight was a high quality 3/4" tube with a choice in reticles which included a VERY nice
cross hair. AAMOF I recently saw a complete set up in 2 1/2X gun shownshow table for $80.00 OTD. I passed it up because it had a fine cross hair ret.
When I related the tale to my buddy he said "Gee, I know a couple of places you could have gotten the ret. replaced." WHAAAATT?
Oh well.
There are other brands that had a BRIEF run but I'm only familiar with these.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Good info, thanks!

Just fyi, Leupold has a variable Scout scope now. I tried to cut and paste a nice comparison chart between the fixed and variable, but the columns came out so misaligned I couldn't understand where anything went, and I had just looked at it.
The highlights are:
-1.5-4X,
-it's 8.6 oz instead of the 2.5X's 6.9 oz,
-length is 10.88" versus 10.1",
-and eye relief is a little less at 7.75-8.75" vs 9.3".
It runs about $50 more than the 2.5X.
It's not much bigger than the fixed 2.5, but if you find the 2.5 too bulky, another 3/4" of length and 1.7 oz of weight won't help. I have the Leupold 2.5X on my Steyr and love it, but could see that it would seem huge on a 92.

Regarding others sold under the Nc Star brand:
I keep looking at one Midway sells under the Barska brand. I have no idea if Barska is Nc Star or vice versa or neither. Midway doesn't call it a Scout scope, but it looks to me like it is. They just call it the "Barska Compact Rifle Scope 2x 20mm" or something like that, with no mention of it being a Scout scope anywhere in the name or product description. When I look at the specs it sure fits. I think the eye relief is around 9".
I keep looking at it for a Browning auto 22. I think it's around $40- not something I'd try on my light .308 Scout, but maybe on that Browning.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Barry in IN wrote:I keep looking at one Midway sells under the Barska brand. I have no idea if Barska is Nc Star or vice versa or neither. Midway doesn't call it a Scout scope, but it looks to me like it is. They just call it the "Barska Compact Rifle Scope 2x 20mm" or something like that, with no mention of it being a Scout scope anywhere in the name or product description. When I look at the specs it sure fits. I think the eye relief is around 9".
From what a distributor told me, it is the NcSTAR 2X20 and that outfit considers it a pistol scope. I actually have one sitting on my bench and have shot it on the rifle. There is quite a bit of glare on the eye bell back at you and the cross-hairs are very fine which makes them difficult to see in low light. I will get the specs for the Leupold variable posted.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I wondered as much once you said Nc Star seemed to make most of them. When I looked at the one on the
Midway website just now, I couldn't find the specs at all. Maybe the eye relief was listed wrong and they yanked the info.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Ranch Dog wrote:........From what a distributor told me, it is the NcSTAR 2X20 and that outfit considers it a pistol scope. I actually have one sitting on my bench and have shot it on the rifle. There is quite a bit of glare on the eye bell back at you and the cross-hairs are very fine which makes them difficult to see in low light. I will get the specs for the Leupold variable posted.
I put a 2x20 NC Star on mine - temporarily, to do load development, but it works out reasonably well at night with a light unless I have ANY backlight. I have to get around behind the building where no light is coming out of the windows of the house or there is too much glare on the occular lens to see anything.

I have to admit that it's a better scope than I anticipated for $35, shipped, but the drawbacks are too serious to keep it in contention to stay on the rifle. It comes up decent but I have never used a legitimate Scout scope before so I don't know what I am missing.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff H wrote:I put a 2x20 NC Star on mine - temporarily, to do load development, but it works out reasonably well at night with a light unless I have ANY backlight. I have to get around behind the building where no light is coming out of the windows of the house or there is too much glare on the occular lens to see anything.

I have to admit that it's a better scope than I anticipated for $35, shipped, but the drawbacks are too serious to keep it in contention to stay on the rifle. It comes up decent but I have never used a legitimate Scout scope before so I don't know what I am missing.
Nice looking setup Jeff. I think the issue must be the lens coatings on the smaller NcSTAR. I just came in from working some food plots for feral hogs with the NcStar 2.75X22 and I am very impressed and hopeful that this bugger might work. I will work a plot with my dad a 100-yards or better behind me with a spot light, me working towards the hogs. With the light so far back they don't get spooked and we are positioned on the field so I can work the wind into them. Nothing to show tonight but I did not have any issue with glare from the light behind me. Very happy. Also with this near full moon, I was impressed what I could see out there.

What are you using your rifle for?
Michael
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Ranch Dog wrote:......................What are you using your rifle for?
Well, might sound silly to some, but it's for "potty patrol."

My wife has two Sheetzoos (I spell it like I hear it) who aren't as big as the skunks, coons and feral cats, let alone the coyotes. When they have to go outside at night, I accompany them after checking for other animals which would do them harm. A .22 LR is not decisive enough for these animals unless a head shot is made and that's not easy when they are moving, close up or farther away.

A varmint or deer rifle would wake the dead and increases the potential for a round to get farther than I wish, plus they aren't nearly as handy. I have nothing against the .357, but it's never been a "favorite." I always prefered the larger bores, but the .357 uses less of my lead up than my .44s and seems to be "enough," especially out of the 16" barrel. That said, the Rossi is the only .357 I have left. I though about moving it and getting a .44 Rossi and pare one more oddball component (sm pistol primers) off my list of things I keep on hand. Just been hard to give the little rifle/cartridge combo up.

I would love to ditch the scope and the light, put a reciever sight on it and have s ome fun with it. Need the light for what I really got the rifle for, so I am sort of stuck with it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:......................What are you using your rifle for?
Well, might sound silly to some, but it's for "potty patrol."

My wife has two Sheetzoos (I spell it like I hear it) who aren't as big as the skunks, coons and feral cats, let alone the coyotes. When they have to go outside at night, I accompany them after checking for other animals which would do them harm. A .22 LR is not decisive enough for these animals unless a head shot is made and that's not easy when they are moving, close up or farther away.

A varmint or deer rifle would wake the dead and increases the potential for a round to get farther than I wish, plus they aren't nearly as handy. I have nothing against the .357, but it's never been a "favorite." I always prefered the larger bores, but the .357 uses less of my lead up than my .44s and seems to be "enough," especially out of the 16" barrel. That said, the Rossi is the only .357 I have left. I though about moving it and getting a .44 Rossi and pare one more oddball component (sm pistol primers) off my list of things I keep on hand. Just been hard to give the little rifle/cartridge combo up.

I would love to ditch the scope and the light, put a reciever sight on it and have s ome fun with it. Need the light for what I really got the rifle for, so I am sort of stuck with it.
I don't think a hungry hog would turn down a fresh "Sheetzoo under grass" dinner either.........they're not known to be gastronomic snobs.
I have the identical gun as you & a coyote, feral cat or feral hog for that matter would never know what hit them.
The .357 Mag ballistics are impressive out of the closed receiver & 16" barrel of the Rossi.........I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a deer < 100 yards with my 16" .357 Rossi 92.
I can still shoot dead on using the factory iron sights with my glasses on but if I wanted to scope the gun I'd use the same Bushnell 2-6x33mm pistol scope I'm using on my Chiappa Mare's Leg......real impressed with the clarity of the optics in that scope.
Bushnell is to scopes what Rossi is to guns...............we're not supposed to like them but I do anyway because of how they perform.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Bushnell is to scopes what Rossi is to guns...............we're not supposed to like them but I do anyway because of how they perform.
I wish the had a true scout scope as the are my scope of choice.
Michael