machine tooling for rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
eljay

machine tooling for rossi 92

Post by eljay »

where did rossi get the tooling to make the m92? my early ( 1978-9 ) the frame, is almost identical to my 1919 winchester, while on the later rossi's the bottom of the frame is virtually straight, front sight on the barrel band. similar to the spanish "el tigre" carbine. so my question ( for which i may never get an answer) did rossi purchase winchesters old machinery, get the old tooling from garate, anitua y cia, or start off from scratch with brand new tooling? this should be a head scratching topic to which we may never know the answer.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: machine tooling for rossi 92

Post by Archer »

Sort of depends on what you mean.
There's some info on the site regarding general style of Rossi rifles over the years vs. who owned them and who was buying them.

The El Tigre rifles from Spain were essentially direct clone copies of the Winchester. Due to Spanish law, unless the item was produced IN Spain the patents were not recognized.

Early Rossi guns were probably clone copies of the El Tigre as a lot of those guns made their way to Brazil.

As I understand it once Rossi changed hands, sometime around the CBC/Braztech era the guns were at some point rebaselined/reblueprinted for production on modern CNC machinery.
eljay

Re: machine tooling for rossi 92

Post by eljay »

thanks for the reply archer. i was just wondering (or wandering) where rossi got the tooling they used to make the original rossi's. just an idle thought. i know the later ones were done on the CNC machines. i have probably owned 6-7 rossi's, in .357, .45, and .44-40, carbines, octagonal barrels, and an octagonal to round barreled rifle. all would have been made pre 1995 i think, no problems with most of them, fit, finish and funcioning all good, except for one with the puma medallion, that had a slightly out of round chamber, still worked fine, just got a bit less reloading life.