Broken rear band screw and barrel damage

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
cone2245

Broken rear band screw and barrel damage

Post by cone2245 »

Howdy! I picked up a 16 inch R92 in 357 last month for my birthday and it’s one of my favorite guns. Action smoothed up well, and it’s already taken a few wild hogs here in central Texas. However, the rear band screw broke off inside the hand guard. I took the rifle out hunting this weekend, firing maybe 15 rounds. I noticed the broken screw, and slid the HG forward enough to oil the understand of the barrel and discovered the channel for that screw has been battered by the bit of screw that still sticks inside the HG. We attempted to drill the old screw out from the right side to no avail. So here’s my concern. Could the barrels life, strength, or accuracy been permanently damaged by the screws marring? I tried calling Braztech this morning but waited for 45 minutes with no answer. I’m concerned they will void my warranty for one reason or another. Here a few pics of the marring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlidster

Re: Broken rear band screw and barrel damage

Post by dlidster »

Doesn't look too serious. If I were dealing with this situation I'd first invest as much time as necessary to carefully remove the broken machine screw from the band. You can do it. Next, rather than trying to deal with Braztech I'd purchase a replacement screw from Jack First. (I'd probably order two to have one in my parts box in case I screwed something up.) A link follows this essay.

Then, when getting ready to reasseble everything, I'd first try fitting the band over the barrel and magazine tube without the fore-end in place. This would tell me if the screw can start into the hole on one side of the band and go through the groove filed in the bottom of the barrel and still be aligned with the hole in the band in the opposite side. If not, carefully file the groove in the barrel till this routine works.

Next, I'd slip the band onto the fore-end (which is not on the gun) and check to see if I can slide the screw from the outside hole in the band through the fore-end and have it line up with the hole in the band on the opposite side. If it's not a smooth fit, enlarge the hole in the fore-end slightly and repeat till the screw slips right into position.

Finally, assemble the fore-end with the barrel and magazine tube. Put the rear band in place and slide the screw through the band and fore-end. If it doesn't work, look carefully to determine why not. But, don't try to force anything. I go through all these steps because the procedure can be a pain in the you-know-what. However, there's nothing to it if you keep your brain in gear and your patience under control.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... band-screw
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Check out this topic: https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=262

I figure the fellows securing the barrel bands have hands the size of catcher mitts as they torque the heck out of the barrel, tube, and band to get the screw in place. I relieved the barrel on all eight of my Rossi's, 92s and Rio Grandes, and have never had a problem since.
Michael
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

welcome cone2245!
cone2245

Post by cone2245 »

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad its not something Ill have to send off. We have thought about just ordering a new barrel band and cutting the current one off with a dremel since we didn't have any luck drilling out the busted screw. Here's another photo that will hopefully show more of the area. It looks like it is about as deep as the existing channel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sistemasks

Post by sistemasks »

I had to use a cobalt drill bit to drill mine out. a standard highspeed steel bit wouldn't touch it. my local menards had the cobalt bits.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Welcome to the forum :)
I don't know why Rossi can't get this stuff right, there's no reason to torque these bolts down do tight
OP, is your gun made by CBC?
There's lots of talented people here, Dlidster seems to have you going in the right direction.
cone2245

Post by cone2245 »

Yes sir, it is a CBC gun. Fit and finish was a lot better than I was expecting, only problem right outta the box was a slightly canted mag tube but that was easily fixed. Action slicked up nice after a good cleaning and coating in bearing grease and Ballistol
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

dlidster wrote:Doesn't look too serious. If I were dealing with this situation I'd first invest as much time as necessary to carefully remove the broken machine screw from the band. You can do it. Next, rather than trying to deal with Braztech I'd purchase a replacement screw from Jack First. (I'd probably order two to have one in my parts box in case I screwed something up.) A link follows this essay.

Then, when getting ready to reasseble everything, I'd first try fitting the band over the barrel and magazine tube without the fore-end in place. This would tell me if the screw can start into the hole on one side of the band and go through the groove filed in the bottom of the barrel and still be aligned with the hole in the band in the opposite side. If not, carefully file the groove in the barrel till this routine works.

Next, I'd slip the band onto the fore-end (which is not on the gun) and check to see if I can slide the screw from the outside hole in the band through the fore-end and have it line up with the hole in the band on the opposite side. If it's not a smooth fit, enlarge the hole in the fore-end slightly and repeat till the screw slips right into position.

Finally, assemble the fore-end with the barrel and magazine tube. Put the rear band in place and slide the screw through the band and fore-end. If it doesn't work, look carefully to determine why not. But, don't try to force anything. I go through all these steps because the procedure can be a pain in the you-know-what. However, there's nothing to it if you keep your brain in gear and your patience under control.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... band-screw

Thanks for the link. I took my new R92 apart today, when I removed the rear band screw about .333" of the end of the screw fell off right in my hand. I Just order two more from the link you provided.

What's so hard about these screws? It seems more R92 owners have more problem with this screw than anything else.
https://imageshack.us/i/poQCCDSSj

I sent Rossi USA an email along with a picture asking for a replacement screw/bolt. Let's see what they will do.
Hutt

Post by Hutt »

What I discovered was that over time the wood in the forearm shrinks. Heating of the barrel from firing does not help the matter either.You will notice the cracks in the barrel channel when you pull it off. The barrel band screw will be tight because of this wood shrinkage makeing reassembly more difficult. More often than not I find the screw holes do not line up correctly.