A Nod to the 92 as a Truck Gun

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

A Nod to the 92 as a Truck Gun

Post by HarryAlonzo »

This guy does ramble, and he doesn’t know how to use paragraphs, but it’s one of the better pieces he’s written.

https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/best-o ... 32e069dc71
GasGuzzler

Re: A Nod to the 92 as a Truck Gun

Post by GasGuzzler »

Starts off on the wrong foot for me with a picture of a restored to look "un-restored" mid-century Chevy pick up. Not sure I'm in on the truck gun idea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

HarryAlonzo wrote:This guy does ramble, and he doesn’t know how to use paragraphs, but it’s one of the better pieces he’s written.
You are right about that, reading what he wrote is exhausting!

I'm with GG, not into the "truck gun." I do think it is a common excuse to buy another firearm, something I never justify.
Michael
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Ranch Dog wrote:
HarryAlonzo wrote:This guy does ramble, and he doesn’t know how to use paragraphs, but it’s one of the better pieces he’s written.
You are right about that, reading what he wrote is exhausting!

I'm with GG, not into the "truck gun." I do think it is a common excuse to buy another firearm, something I never justify.

................this..............
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
trekker

Post by trekker »

I quite liked it.
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

I liked it. I get the concept. When you're away from home in just your "truck", you've only got what you've got in your vehicle if you run into trouble.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I live in the mountains in a remote cabin, on a farm in rural southeast Kentucky.
we have 5 deputies, and the closest state police post is a 1/2 hour away.
The crack/meth heads on their atvs are everywhere.
law enforcement tells everyone to arm themselves at all times, the district attorney tells people to buy guns and stay armed.
Last time a meth head pulled a gun on me was several years back,he was waving a DA revolver at me.
Someone happened by and he took off, guess he didnt want a witness around.
So i guess you could say i carry a truck gun, it is also my house gun, woods walking gun, hunting gun,plinking gun, etc.
I carry a cut down lever rifle, either in 30-30, 44 magnum or 357 magnum.
and a ruger blackhawk, 4.5" under the dashboard, next to my right leg, usually in 44 special and 44 magnum, first three rounds are 44 special, last three are hot, hard cast loads, for stopping or slowing down a vehicle,
Back in 2012, i got out of my truck to get mail from my rural mailbox, guy came around the corner in a 3/4 ton chevy flatbed truck, hit the gas and tried to run me over, license number revealed the driver was a deputy sheriff, FBI took care of that situation.
So you need something you can get to real fast, because when something goes down, it goes down real fast, and you just have a few seconds to respond.
what ever you carry, make sure you can get it out fast and hit accurately.
you would be amazed at how fast these scrawny little meth heads can move when it comes to stealing or killing.
this is my 92 44 magnum that i usually carry.
Ive been thinking about a 30 m1 carbine with folding stock, i can lay it in the passenger seat or right across my lap, keep it loaded with HP ammo.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Seems like a reasonable solution. Are the new carbines reliable? Sometime ago I seem to remember some less than kind reviews of the Universal offering.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ive been studying up on the 30 m1 for about a year now.
reading,youtubeing,etc.
What i have found is, the new production m1 carbine, whether its made buy auto ordnance or inland, all get their receivers from the same manufacturer, and they are investment cast.
Everything inside is investment cast.
Guntest did an article on the repros, they said the cast extractor broke, the company sent a new extractor, it was cast also.
https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/29_2/f ... 709-1.html
M1 carbine forum recommends a fulton armory rebuild, close to $2000.00
or find an original.
Buy a repro as a last resort.
I purchased a universal 1st Gen after careful research.
If serial number is below 100,000 they were rebuilt with all GI parts, and called 1st Gen
The one i found has a ser # 37800 something, that puts it early 1960s rebuild with all usgi parts.
After ser#100,000 they were running out of original parts so they started contracting out for newly made parts, that werent GI spec, thats when the trouble started.
I have a customized ruger blackhawk in 30 carbine.
they should go good together.

I went to armorer school while stationed at Ft Bragg, but the m1 had been phased out at that time.
So i ordered a manual, spring set, etc.
Think i paid $549 for the carbine, if something is wrong with it i can send it back.
As long as the barrel and receiver are in good shape i will be pleased.
I do need a headspace gauge, other than that ive got everyting needed for complete teardown and rebuild.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

We all have differing opinions and situations but the term "truck gun" is new and therefore as stupid as what I call "bro country" (music). I have no problem with arming how you see fit. What I DO NOT WANT is a beat up %@*&$ nor a rifle in my truck at all times (generally). A "truck gun" to me is any gun you have in your truck and we should all have a gun with us at all times...therefore there is no truck gun for me.

If I were to loosely follow the trend, I'd have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in Glock 9 fashion. It's small, light, accurate for what it is, folds in half...and unlike ALL the others in its class, it doesn't look like a third grader designed it.

I hate Cheaper than Dirt too so it's a fail on my block. Oh yeah, I guess I said it already but spending $9K on a paint job to try to make a truck look old is dumb too.

Guess I'm a stick in the mud.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.