contemplating a Rossi 92 to run 44 special in

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

contemplating a Rossi 92 to run 44 special in

Post by trekker »

Hi folks, considering a 44 magnum to run subsonic 44 special loads out of. This would suit my hunting situation keeping noise down for neighbours , ranges out to 75 yards. I'd like to try the 200 grain gold dots, powder no more than 6-7 grains of fast burners, I reckon about 950-1000fps.

Low case fill and pressures so wondering about accuracy- anyone think a 2" group at 50 yards is on the cards with the above? Or could I be chasing dinner plates at 25? I know cast will kill okay with the big bullets but I always like to try and find a jacketed HP first..

Its likely gun dependant , but wondered if anyone has any stories of 44 special load accuracy in your own rossis, cast or otherwise. Just trying to peice it together before I spend the cash.
dlidster

Re: contemplating a Rossi 92 to run 44 special in

Post by dlidster »

I have a Browning B-92 in .44 Magnum. I run nothing but the type of loads you're asking about. My load I've standardized on delivers the 2" 50 yard groups you're asking about. (It might be capable of better, but I'm 76 and iron sights aren't my strong suit.)

This load is a cast 240 gr TCBB (Truncated Cone Bevel Base) bullet from Penn Bullets, sized to .432". With 7 gr of Unique the velocity is 1078 fps, which is the sub-sonic you're seeking. The recoil is mild and I don't feel a need to wear ear muffs when shooting. But those 240 gr bullets really whack steel plates.

https://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

dlidster wrote:I have a Browning B-92 in .44 Magnum. I run nothing but the type of loads you're asking about. My load I've standardized on delivers the 2" 50 yard groups you're asking about. (It might be capable of better, but I'm 76 and iron sights aren't my strong suit.)

This load is a cast 240 gr TCBB (Truncated Cone Bevel Base) bullet from Penn Bullets, sized to .432". With 7 gr of Unique the velocity is 1078 fps, which is the sub-sonic you're seeking. The recoil is mild and I don't feel a need to wear ear muffs when shooting. But those 240 gr bullets really whack steel plates.

https://www.pennbullets.com/44/44-caliber.html
Which case do you use Mag or Spl?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
Which case do you use Mag or Spl?

Make smoke,
I use .44 mag cases, primarily Starline. But, I have quite a bit of range brass, too.
trekker

Post by trekker »

I should have mentioned I will be running 44 special brass for the slightly better loading density. I know theoretically the jump from the shorter case can effect accuracy but not sure if this is verified.

dlidster regards the sizing is that because you slugged the bore somehow, or just tested various diametre moulds from them and picked the best shooting?
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

trekker wrote:dlidster regards the sizing is that because you slugged the bore somehow, or just tested various diametre moulds from them and picked the best shooting?
I slugged the bore. The barrel on the Browning B-92 is .431", not the .429" of .44 magnum handguns. Because most bullet manufacturers seem to assume their bullets will be used in handguns, they're sized accordingly. These bullets are undersize in the B-92 and deliver lousy accuracy.

And, yes, I did test many other bullets before settling on the Penn .432-sized bullets. I was experiencing terrible groups until the Penn .432" bullets, which are great. (And Robert Palermo, who owns Penn bullets, is a really good guy.)

I have no idea what the actual bore size on the Rossi R-92 is. It would be smart to slug it before purchasing bullets.

P.S. I've found that with mild loads using Unique loading density is a non-issue. I have a less than 3% variation in velocity from round to round. A plus, to me, is that the COAL of the Penn 240 gr TCBB in a .44 mag case is 1.61". It doesn't get much closer to perfect than that in a 92. These cartridges feed and cycle like a million bucks.