Lever Droop

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pepperpete

Lever Droop

Post by pepperpete »

Been a while since I posted here but have always found good info on RR. I've had a SS '92 for about 2 years now and mainly been used in Single Action shoots at our club. Lately the lever has developed a "droop" and it wont stay locked when the action is closed. It hasn't caused a problem yet as my grip is pretty tight when I shoot the gun but, would still like to have it tight without having to hold the lever up. It doesn't open entirely but the lock bolts do drop a bit. On inspection it seems that the little spring loaded indent (?) thingy wont hold the lever up anymore. Is this easily fixable?
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Lever Droop

Post by Archer »

Does the lever latch pin (Friction Stud) move freely or is it jammed in the retracted position?
IF it is jammed then you may need to at least try and work some solvet and/or lubricant into it to free it.
OR you may need to disassemble it and clean out the pin channel and reinstall it.

Did you buy the gun new or used? has the Friction Stud been modified or is it heavily worn?
It has been a common practice to round over the nose of the friction stud to make the lever opening action easier and smoother. Newer guns like the ones I own may have had this done from the factory.

Is the notch that the stud mates with worn out or is there still a notch there?
If the notch isn't there any more then there's nothing for the friction stud to snap into.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_Parts.htm
Check out parts 44, 45, 46 in the schematic at link
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Archer covered what steps you should take. Hopefully it's just got gunk biult up n once cleaned the stud will be gtg. +guns keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Archer wrote:Did you buy the gun new or used?
I saw in your earlier posts that you got the 92 second hand, so Archers statement about the Friction Stud possibly being modified applies. Rounding it over is something some people do to slick it up.

I tried to take a clear macro picture of the stud profile on my .357 92, so you could have an unmodified reference picture for comparison, but my junky old camera wouldn't focus.
Ruffbird

Post by Ruffbird »

I recently changed out the factory ejector spring to a lighter one in my gun & my lever would also droop. I put the factory one back in, now the lever is back to normal. Perhaps someone changed that ejector spring in yours?
Just a thought! :)
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Thanks everyone. Yes, I bought it used but other than the early problems it has been a dream to shoot. While I haven't been able to get at the spring it feels very weak when pressed in but after I had a good look at the stud with a small magnifying glass it looks like the spring loaded stud is seriously worn although the weak spring can't help either. The slot seems OK with a little bit of wear where the stud rubs on opening and closing the lever but I think it's deep enough and hope it'll be OK if I can get a new stud and work out how to replace the spring. Archer, the link was very helpful and I'll probably refer to it again some time.
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Thanks Ruffbird I did that myself as the original spring was flinging cases over the moon on ejection. Being a bit short on Rossi parts I am using a brno (CZ) firing pin spring as my ejector spring. You may have a point but it's been fine until recently however, I will see if it makes a difference if the other fix doesn't work out.
Cheers
Pete
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

I had a similar problem with my .44 octagon barrel 92 after installing a spring kit. It seems the friction stud was too short. I bought a #9 wire gage drill bit from my local Ace Hardware and made one just a bit longer !/16") than the original stud. It work perfectly and I now have a slightly shortened drill bit that I will never use......but the 92 lever stays in place.
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Thanks Lognut04 I'll have time to work on it today and will see what I can do. Are you saying you made the stud from the drill bit?
Lognut04

Post by Lognut04 »

Yes, I cut off the end of the bit without flutes and ground it to shape. Probably took a half hour or so but worth the effort.