Giving up!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Stony Creek Mike

Giving up!

Post by Stony Creek Mike »

Bought a stainless 92 in 44mag with 16" barrel. I was happy with it but could not use the standard sights as I couldn't see the sights clearly. Due to this I figured the accuracy would improve with a better system. So I bought a mount and got a red dot and tried again. Results were not impressive (4-6 inch groups at 50 yards) so I moved to a scout 2X scope and shot some more. Again the group was poor (4-5 inch groups at 50 yards). I gave the gun to my friend who is known in these parts as a crack shot and after 10 rounds he gave up! Now it's a wall hanger. Can't figure out what is wrong. So I give up and went back to my Marlin 336. If anyone has a suggestion I'll consider another go. Added thought.....I tried 180, 225, 240 grain bullets. all sucked but 240 was the best. Any thoughts?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Giving up!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Slug the barrel and get bullets that fit might be a place to start. The 44s are somewhat notorious for "fat" bores.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wasn't sure if he was shooting jacketed or cast? Probably factory as reloaders provide more info. I was going to start in with some ideas this morning but had other things to do and given the title, I think his mind has been made up so moved on.
Michael
Stony Creek Mike

Post by Stony Creek Mike »

If I have a "fat" bore is there a fix? I do not reload so I'm stuck with factory ammo. I haven't given up entirely I just need a gun to hunt with and the 44mag Rossi isn't it just yet.
Last edited by Stony Creek Mike on 28 Oct 2016 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

That might present a challenge. If you have a friendly local gun shop that would let you measure a bunch of commercial loads it would be a start, but whether it will help may depend on how much over the bore is since most commercial loads are going to be within the SAAMI spec.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Have you done any cleaning on the rifle? What about the forearm, have you done anything to check the fit?

When you say you have a "fat" bore, I assume you have slugged it. What measurements did you get?
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't think he said he has one. Looks like he's guessing so because of post 2.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dalek

Post by dalek »

He could try rounds with cast lead bullets
g5m

Post by g5m »

You might try some cowboy lead bullet ammo.

Example:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19861 ... -box-of-50

Might help, might not. Won't know until you try it.
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

How does the crown look? If it is dinged, that could throw your accuracy off. May shine a light down the bore and make sure it is clean and the rifling isn't damaged.
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.