Are these safe to shoot in a 92 ?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Spider

Re: Are these safe to shoot in a 92 ?

Post by Spider »

meanc wrote:
Spider wrote:So on this same topic, what is the verdict on using 240 gr XTP jhp in a tubular mag? Opinions, experiences? I just made some full house h110 with these bullets and started thinking I might only load the last two ( first into the chamber) and run lead rnfp behind those for follow up shots.
The 44mag 240gr XTP max load is 100% safe in the Marlin 1894, 1894CB, Winchester 94, and Puma 92. They're what I have and it's the only load I shoot out of them.

The only thing it'll probably hurt is your shoulder, and I've had the bruises to prove it.

Yeah, bruised shoulder. But I'm working up my hunting load. I'll go back to my powderpuff 44spc loads for the rest of the year. Sucks both loads don't shoot the same horizontal plane. Oh well. Tap tap on the front sight when hunting season ends. Figured the action could handle h110 loads, was thinking more about blowing up cartridges in the mag tube.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I've been testing 180 gr. XTP's in my 92 with 15 gr. of LIL' Gun and never thought anything about it, since they weren't pointy nose bullets. I've shot 50 rounds with no problem. I will admit that I only loaded 5 at a time. Maybe, I'll back off the 11 that I have in the tube right now to allow the spring to a be bit more give.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
oley55

Post by oley55 »

Moon Tree wrote:I've been testing 180 gr. XTP's in my 92 with 15 gr. of LIL' Gun and never thought anything about it, since they weren't pointy nose bullets. I've shot 50 rounds with no problem. I will admit that I only loaded 5 at a time. Maybe, I'll back off the 11 that I have in the tube right now to allow the spring to a be bit more give.
reference the last sentence, it may seem counter intuitive, but I think a loose stack would be more likely to create an unwanted tube magazine detonation. as stated by ohio3wheels below:
Ohio3wheels wrote:I don't have my head wrapped all the way around the physics here, but it seems to me that with the mag spring compression the entire column is going to move as one unit, if indeed it moves at all. Without a running start as it were I don't see how one cartridge can wack another hard enough to trip the primer.
R92 .357 Mag, Case hardened, 24"
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan -
qikracer

Post by qikracer »

Thought this was relevant to the discussion. A chain reaction of 5.56 rounds in a tube, very enlightening and also very destructive. I will be sticking to flat nosed bullets.

https://www.full30.com/video/fbfad6cb7b ... 91a1b3e454
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A lot of difference between a 5.56 spire point and a .357 round nose.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's what I was thinking.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
qikracer

Post by qikracer »

Ranch Dog wrote:A lot of difference between a 5.56 spire point and a .357 round nose.
I realise that, but the first round was detonated by a BB, which are pretty round last time I checked.
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

A couple strokes per cartridge with a good file would have made them all FN by now. Because noise is the primary purpose of these rounds it would be fine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

qikracer wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:A lot of difference between a 5.56 spire point and a .357 round nose.
I realise that, but the first round was detonated by a BB, which are pretty round last time I checked.
Yeah, but pretty small. 177 caliber, about the size of the delivery end of a firing pin. I would go on to speculate that given the velocity of a BB from a pistol, that BB is delivering more energy than a distance limited, spring driven firing pin is.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of the Remington 150-grain PSP 35 Rem ammunition in my Marlin without a detonation.

Same with hundreds of handloads using the Hornady 200-grain round nose.

The factory ammo is rather anemic but my reloads were at 42.0K PSI.
Michael
g5m

Post by g5m »

I asked a local friendly gunsmith the question of a round going off in a tubular magazine and he said, "Yes, absolutely!"
Just to be sure I then asked ,"Have you held it in your very own hands", (as opposed to having been told of one) and he gave me a "Yes". And another 'smith confirmed that it had come in. I wasn't trying to question his veracity as he is an absolutely honest guy, but wanted to be sure I understood the situation.