Locked up tight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JohnR

Locked up tight

Post by JohnR »

M92, .357, 20" barrel - after about the 75th round I went home, cleaned it, put it away, and when I took it out again the bolt was locked up tight. I read the thread about the lever pin and its screw, but nothing I did with those helped.

I did disassemble it and put it back together, but it's still locked up. Is there a solution other than sending it to Miami for 4-6 weeks?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Locked up tight

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hmmm? You are sure it is the bolt and not the lever?
JohnR wrote:Is there a solution other than sending it to Miami for 4-6 weeks?
I'm sure there is a solution to avoid this. There has to be some clue other than what you have provided.
Michael
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Bolt vs. lever, good question. All I know is the lever won't move, therefore the bolt won't. :D Disassembled, the bolt would slide freely, and at certain points of disassembly the lever would work the bolt ok. That was with the tang and trigger/hammer removed.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

IF you are certain that the firearm is unloaded, can you cock, pull the trigger, and hammer fall?
Michael
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

On mine the left side carrier screw was to long. I didn't notice it until after I took it apart for a cleaning.
Upon first disassembly I noticed it wasn't tight. When I tightened it fully it locked up the action. I filed about a 1/16 off, reassembled has been good ever since.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

My first thought is that a screw is too tight/long somewhere, or that a pin is not fully seated. Not all Rossi screws are the same length. I have seen a number of them that are too long when fully tightened and some that are too short. But if you are sure those are not the case then I would think that a burr is hanging it up.

You could try to put a little side-to-side pressure on the lever when you are trying to open it. I have seen one gun that would do this. I'm not quite sure what caused it, but my guess is that a burr or sharp edge would just barely grab the frame.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Ranch Dog wrote:IF you are certain that the firearm is unloaded, can you cock, pull the trigger, and hammer fall?
Yes, it cocks and the trigger releases the hammer. I've monkeyed with the screw, loosening it, snugging it, nothing helps. If it was just a burr, I would think there would be a little lever movement as if just enough force could shear off the burr, but it's so tight there's zero lever movement.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

Try taking the grub screw for the bolt pin out, and check the pin. it could be in too far, and protruding out the other (right) side. Maybe you put it in backwards also, the knurled end goes on the left side. Just try tapping it with a punch on the right side with the screw just backed off, also.
Check your hammer spring mechanism, as they have been known to bend break.

barracudadave67
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not sure where you have gone with this but next up for me would be to pull the butt stock off and see what I could see up inside the receiver.
Michael
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I'm just getting around to the next round of diagnostics. With the butt stock and trigger/hammer assembly removed, the lever will open about a half an inch. When I remove the grub screw the lever swings freely all the way. I had the knurled side of the pin on the left.

When I reassemble the trigger/hammer and insert the bolt, it's locked up again. Tapping the bolt pin back and forth doesn't release it.

If I pull out the lower tang just a small amount, the lever releases. It's like the retaining pin in the lever is blocked from moving. I have never removed this pin, so that doesn't explain why it worked fine and then stopped.

Can anyone tell if it's in correctly? It pushes in and springs back, though it's very stiff as I assume it's supposed to be.