What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
P89DC

What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?

Post by P89DC »

I'm decking out my 16" 357 with some type of Scout Rifle optic but I'm clueless and looking for input. I never shoot in low light, I'm a plinker/paper puncher.

Red Dot? LER Scout/Pistol scope? Fixed or variable? I'm clueless about Red Dots, never even looked through one, please explain why I'd want a Scope over a Red Dot or visa-versa.

Thanks for any/all advice!

Here's a few LER scopes I found:
Low cost fixed and variable,
NcSTAR Pistolero Rifle Scope - 2.5x30, ER = ~10" $35
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-pist ... 2530b.html
NcSTAR Pistolero Rifle Scope - 2-7x32 ER = ~10" $49
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-pist ... 2732b.html

medium cost fixed and variable:
Simmons 4x32mm Prohunter Handgun Scope, ER = ~11" $87
http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-4x3 ... scope.html
Sun Optics Handgun/Scout Hunting Riflescope - 2-7x32mm, ER = ~10" $100
http://www.opticsplanet.com/sun-optics- ... x32mm.html

High cost (for me) fixed and variable:
Swift Premier 2x20 Pistol Scope ER = ~10" $150
http://www.opticsplanet.com/swift-premi ... scope.html
Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics 2-7x32mm Long Eye Relief Riflescope ER = ~ 10" $145
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood ... 27x32.html
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
GasGuzzler

Re: What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?

Post by GasGuzzler »

What's the average distance you shoot? Do you only shoot off a bench, IE no match shooting, no hunting?

Dot optics are best for fast acquisition and repeatability like match. Unless you spend gobs they won't be one hole accurate in most cases. I have a cheapo NCStar on my 22/55 and it's a steel hitting machine. At short range 20-100 feet it's pretty tight. Can't see through it well enough to shoot tight at 50+ yards.

Sounds like you need a 2X to 4X fixed power scope but I'll defer to R92 experts on what eye relief is best.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
P89DC

Post by P89DC »

Thanks, GG, great questions. I don't hunt or compete, most of my R92 shooting is standing, off-hand style at fun targets such milk jugs, the ball and paper targets. I expect my max range will be 50~100 yards.

Variable NCStar might be perfect for a first scout scope, allows me to figure out what magnification I want without breaking the bank.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

I'm looking at the Leupold FX-II. It is a good scope and will match my stainless steel 44 magnum. It will be used for hunting deer and black bear at 100 yards or less.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I have full faith in Ranch Dog's preference of the Weaver K4 Scout Scope, and feel a bit like a mooch taking advantage of his monetary and time investments to weed the herd down to that one scope. The K4 and Weaver rings are patiently waiting on my desk for the arrival of the NOE rail :D

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

mr surveyor wrote:I have full faith in Ranch Dog's preference of the Weaver K4 Scout Scope, and feel a bit like a mooch taking advantage of his monetary and time investments to weed the herd down to that one scope. The K4 and Weaver rings are patiently waiting on my desk for the arrival of the NOE rail :D

jd

We all stand on the shoulders of giants.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Red dot to try first +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

A lot of years back I had a mount for my Swedes and a borrowed 4x Bushnell (I think) ler pistol scope and for whatever reason (eyes, temperament?) I was never able to get it to work satisfactory. I'll bow to the experts but I'm not sure you want a pistol scope for the job.

I have a cheap 3MOA red dot on one of my 10/22s and thus far it's been okay for squirrel. It would probably stay on milk jugs at 100 yrds. Cheap red dots don't survive recoil very well and I've got a scar on my forehead to prove it.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Thanks p89dc for your research. I'm like Mr Surveyor in his thinking about RD already going through the expense of finding the perfect match, but i also have to admit, a less cost solution is tempting. Im really up in the air with this one and my juggleing skills are not so good. If you choose the less expense option, i sure would love a report.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

P89DC wrote:Thanks, GG, great questions. I don't hunt or compete, most of my R92 shooting is standing, off-hand style at fun targets such milk jugs, the ball and paper targets. I expect my max range will be 50~100 yards.

Variable NCStar might be perfect for a first scout scope, allows me to figure out what magnification I want without breaking the bank.
That's the scope I'm going to put on my M92 16" 357 when the NOE base comes in. I use that scout scope on my M1 Carbine and it works great for me.
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter