Loads for a 92 with 24" barrel in Colt45

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
sghart3578

Re: Loads for a 92 with 24" barrel in Colt45

Post by sghart3578 »

No unburned powder in any of the loads.
hamsterbear

Post by hamsterbear »

I have a Rossi 92 Puma with a 24" half octagonal bbl, and I shoot mostly everything I shoot in my SAA 45's. Last trip to the range I fired black powder loaded 45 Colt, 40 gns of compressed FFFg and a 235 Goex Black Dawge lead bullet...shot very well, seemed like more "oomph" than smokeless loads, lots of smoke and sparks flying out barrel. Had to do a very thorough cleaning afterwards. The rifle didn't foul much even after 50 rounds.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have found that with good compression Goex seems to burn fairly clean. Still need to clean good but the fouling stay down and allows more shots between wiping.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I am not in a big rush to buy this 92, I am still weighing out all the variables.
I am dead set on at least a 24" barrel, Octagon optional, The 92 in 454 is not available in 24"
Loads posted by others in this forum for the Colt 45 with heavy bullets are more than impressive.
The GOEX 3f charges also sound like fun. I really appreciate yall writing this stuff.
I am going to level with you all, When I was young, I wanted it to hit the target just before I pull the trigger. Hard to tell but I think we did it. Stand there rubbing your shoulder, wife asks, "Why you so bruised up?".
That's all nice but I'm older now, I will live with out the 600 yard thing,,I mean 250 is plenty.
For me it's so much more fun to shoot these heavy bullets, there is something about the way you hear a "THUD" when they hit the ground. And when you shoot a metal thing, it goes DING!, and knocks the thing over.
I am cash poor, so it be a while. +corn
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the design of the 92 while rather robust and even taking into consideration that there was a energetic .44-40 rifle only load was not really intended to be a modern high pressure high recoil design.

The magazine tube on the common caliber models is a slip fit held in place by the magazine end cap screw at forward end of the mag tube and possibly by cross cuts at the barrel bands or fore end caps.
I'm told that the .454s used a mag tube that threaded into the receiver due to problems with the slip fit slipping forward under recoil. I think the .480 Ruger may do the same. My Winchester .45-70 uses a similar threaded mag tube.

So if you are trying to hot load .45 Colt to near .454 levels you may find you run into the same sorts of problems that caused the .454 change(s).