cast or jacket?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
3sharps

cast or jacket?

Post by 3sharps »

I am wondering which works best in your rossis, jacketed or cast bullets? :o
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: cast or jacket?

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I only shoot my cast in my Rossi,s (and all lever rifles) so have no way to compare and no desire to do so. I know what my cast will do on target and it will get on target real nicely.
So available to me is the best of all possible eventualities. Inexpensive, reusable resource (the lead I recover), little to no barrel wear, accurate, proven results and did I write I will never run out.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ive been shooting jacketed mostly, but have been shooting cast I buy online as well. I have yet to dive into casting my own lead bullets. I want to in time. I have no issue with either I like lead for the old school look and the great price compared to buying jacketed, but I like jacketed as well. Neither thus far has been better than another for me yet. I like lead for price and looks and its performance. I like jacketed but not the price, performs well to. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've five 92s, three Rio's, and had two Single Shots and two Circuit Judges; never shot a jacketed bullet out of any of them.

It is kind of up to you.
Michael
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I shoot 100% jacketed through mine. No particular reason, I just do.
Moe Mentum

Post by Moe Mentum »

Mostly cast, sometimes plated, never shot jacketed.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

so far in two years I've shot about 95% cast in my R92 44 mag, but darned if the other 5% or so of HNDY 240 gr XTP's aren't among the best in accuracy. (oh, and I did shoot 15-20 factory jacketed loads in it on the first range trip)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Provincial

Post by Provincial »

I have a .357 R92 carbine with a 20" barrel. I shoot jacketed bullets for high velocity loads. I have one load that uses 19.6 gr. of H110 and a Montana Gold 125 gr. hollow point bullet that chronos 2,040 fps and is very accurate. I also shoot cast bullets. I have been using 125 gr. lead round nose flat points at about 1250 fps, but a friend recently gave me some 158 gr. LRNFP bullets that I am loading with 4.0 gr. of Red Dot at just under 1,000 fps. This load gives one hole groups at 10 yds resting my elbows on the bench (with the factory open sights) and is very quiet. I think it will be my favorite load for short range plinking!
3sharps

Post by 3sharps »

Well, sure got all sorts of opinions. I was wondering if jacketed gave better groups than cast. My 358
7 seems to prefer jacketed over cast. I will keep trying with the cast and maybe I will find a load that it will like. thanks guys
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

3sharps wrote:Well, sure got all sorts of opinions. I was wondering if jacketed gave better groups than cast. My 358
7 seems to prefer jacketed over cast. I will keep trying with the cast and maybe I will find a load that it will like. thanks guys
There are a lot of variables with cast bullets.
Michael