92 length of pull

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jalderson

92 length of pull

Post by jalderson »

I'm curious how some of you feel about the length of pull of the model 92. Have any of you needed to extend the butt plate for a better fit?
James (sawdust) Alderson
7.62 Precision

Re: 92 length of pull

Post by 7.62 Precision »

No, and most people who assume they need a longer LOP really don't. It is not so critical on a rifle as it is on a shotgun, and a shorter LOP after helps with stability. Also, on a lever gun a long LOP interfere with the ability to run the action sometimes.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Mossberg has the lever gun for you if LOP is a problem. I'm thinking about getting one only because I'm certain this model will eventually die. : )

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... -spx/41026
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

That is one ugly rifle, just MO.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Jaybm wrote:That is one ugly rifle, just MO.
That's why I think it will eventually disappear--it doesn't pass the "cowboys eating beans around the campfire" test LOL.
slideaction

Post by slideaction »

triggerpull wrote:
That's why I think it will eventually disappear--it doesn't pass the "cowboys eating beans around the campfire" test LOL.
Thanks for posting that, I needed a chuckle this morning LOL.
Rossi 62SA owner operator
U.S. Army, retired
jdb

Post by jdb »

I HEARrrrrD dat, Jay! ;~)
triggerpull wrote:
True that Trigger. but it DOES pass the Terminator, robots around the campfire, post apocalyptic smell test. ;~)
jalderson wrote:I'm curious how some of you feel about the length of pull of the model 92. Have any of you needed to extend the butt plate for a better fit?
I've just gotten mine a few months back and so I've just been living with it up till now, but I'm starting to get a pretty good idea for what I need to do to the rifle. One of the needs IS a longer stock. The thing feels like a ol' Daisy BB gun, which I grew up with, but I've become accustom to adult sized guns over the years and I'm too old to learn over again. Heck, I've worried if I throw it up to my shoulder without thinking, I'll knock a dang tooth out! ;~)

But keep in mind. I'm a knuckle dragger. I have a MEASURED bow draw length of 32 1/2"...using a release. So it's not unusual for me to need some help with stock length. I haven't shot a stock gun since the first 870 Wingmaster I got when I was 10 years old. By the time I was 15, I was already adding recoil pads to make guns fit.

All that said, the length of the stock on my 92 is almost exactly what it is on my Marlin. So the guys are right. The stock on the 92 is not unusually short for a lever gun. The stock does have a slightly different angle to the sight picture from the Marlin, but the length to the receiver and trigger is just about identical. And yes, it needed a 1" recoil pad to be comfortable for me.

But I think for the Rossi, I'll make a stock so I can add a Winchester style butt plate to it and stay true to the style. I like the shape a lot better and I think they nest the gun a lot better for cycling lever actions on the sholder than the straight plates on most guns. But that's just me. Plus, it's got to pass the cowboy, campfire smell test. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Run the rifle against your chest (to the inside of your shoulder) like you would if you were in a gunfight, and stand square to the target. Keep you head up and bring the rifle up to your cheek, don't bring your head down to the rifle.

If you blade to the target, and let the stock be out toward the point of your shoulder, you will creep up on the action. If you keep the rifle low on your chest or shoulder, you will bring your head down and forward, creeping up on the action. Either one, or combining the two, will make you feel you need a longer stock.

But if you have a crescent buttplate, you have to shoot it off your upper arm, of course.
jalderson

Post by jalderson »

Thanks guys! I won't worry about it for now. Sounds like it is rare to need to adjust anything with regard to length of pull.
James (sawdust) Alderson
popplecop

Post by popplecop »

Just for comparison, my Rossi 92 is 12 1/2 and my Browning 92 is 13. Measured from center of trigger to center of curved butt plate. To be honest didn't realize that there was a 1/2" difference.