R92 Chambered in 41 Mag?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
triggerpull

Re: R92 Chambered in 41 Mag?

Post by triggerpull »

MacEntyre wrote:I looked up the specs and was surprised to find that the rim of a .44 mag is slightly larger than the rim of a 45 Colt. My 45 Colt cycles 41 mag. Perhaps either one will do as a starting platform.
Maybe the SAAMI CUP specs favor the 44 over the 45?
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:I heard back from M&M, he can do it and is going to get back to me with the prices.

I will split this out into a separate topic as suggested. I'm really interested in seeing this happen.
Great news! Fingers crossed it's not too complicated/expensive!
MacEntyre

Post by MacEntyre »

The availability of the 41 mag Marlins that are out of production is pretty slim, and they are costly enough that a custom Rossi could be significantly less expensive. I'm waiting to hear from Steve Young. More fingers crossed until we hear from someone who can make it happen!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

o.k. .... I didn't sleep to well last night since this .41 mag bug seems to have re-infected me. I got the hots for it last year, but after doing a bit of searching in vain for the guns that fit my needs, the fever went into recession. I've never even owned a .41 mag ..... today I spent about an hour "window shopping the www" for .41 components - almost ordered 500 pieces of brass (just in case).

Yep, the R92-41 (stainless-16" would be nice), and a matching stainless 3-4" Ruger SP-101 (may have to scale the frame a tiny bit for the cartridge, so the SP-101 PLUS it is). I believe that is my dream team.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

mr surveyor wrote:o.k. .... I didn't sleep to well last night since this .41 mag bug seems to have re-infected me. I got the hots for it last year, but after doing a bit of searching in vain for the guns that fit my needs, the fever went into recession. I've never even owned a .41 mag ..... today I spent about an hour "window shopping the www" for .41 components - almost ordered 500 pieces of brass (just in case).

Yep, the R92-41 (stainless-16" would be nice), and a matching stainless 3-4" Ruger SP-101 (may have to scale the frame a tiny bit for the cartridge, so the SP-101 PLUS it is). I believe that is my dream team.

jd
Here's some entertaining 41 mag reading in the meantime: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm
I personally prefer the stouter case dimensions of the 41 over the 44 when it comes to reloading. What's really got me interested in a lever gun project is that I would expect significant velocity and accuracy gains of the cartridge out of modern loads--and it's already a great performer out of revolvers.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

MacEntyre wrote:I looked up the specs and was surprised to find that the rim of a .44 mag is slightly larger than the rim of a 45 Colt. My 45 Colt cycles 41 mag. Perhaps either one will do as a starting platform.
I've heard this before and the short rim was given as a reason Winchester didn't chamber the .45 Colt.
I guess that didn't count the guns supposedly shipped to Australia decades ago or the Japanese production guns that happened later.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've owned a Taurus 415 for several years...

Honestly, I've never shot it. It was one of the things I bought myself several years ago when Taurus decided to drop the product, with the intent of working with it after I retired. Funny but that day is officially today, my birthday but it is still several months away before this project starts.

The 415 was part of the Taurus stainless conceal carry revolvers. I have similar revolvers chambered in 357 Mag (a smaller frame), 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. The only ones I've worked with is the later two. Overall, I just don't like any of these for their intended purpose, conceal carry, as they are two heavy.
Michael
MacEntyre

Post by MacEntyre »

triggerpull wrote:Here's some entertaining 41 mag reading in the meantime: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm
Here is Paco's other 41 article: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

MacEntyre wrote:
triggerpull wrote:Here's some entertaining 41 mag reading in the meantime: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41magnum.htm
Here is Paco's other 41 article: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/41heavy.htm
Notice what he says about the 41 exiting a carbine:

"But for all the rest in between the 41 is an excellent caliber heavy loaded. Marlin has made a run of the their octagon barreled 41 mag leverguns again so we have a perfect companion piece to the handgun. Any time you can push a 270 to 300 grain cast bullet at 1800 plus fps and 1900 to over 2100 foot pounds of muzzle energy from a small carbine length rifle, you’re in lion country power. And even the big bears would fall to that level of power."

I personally don't need a big game devastator out the 41 mag (though it's nice to know you can do it when needed)--but I suspect that light medium loads should be easily hitting fast, flat and hard in the area of 2000 fps when leaving the muzzle of a good carbine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've always thought Paco's loads where over the top, more along the lines of Ackley & wildcating.

I've extensively pressure tested the 41 Mag carbine, my 1894FG, using my RSI pressure trace equipment and would not recommend Paco's velocity suggests as a target. The best I can hope for from the carbine with my 265-grain bullet is 1770 FPS and that is at the SAAMI limit of 36.0K PSI. This load, my 36.0K PSI load, has spooked many of the fellows that bought my mold. I suspect Paco's performance would really cause them to flinch (I've never seen where he recommended specific charges to reach his claimed performance).

Even with my lighter bullet, there would be no way to generate Paco's velocities without putting your life at risk. Looking at all available powders in QuickLoad against all the powders available in the US, 1800 FPS would generate a minimum of 48.0K PSI and 1900 FPS a minimum of 61.4K PSI. The R92 might survive but I suspect the bolt would depart the Marlin 1894. There would also be the issue of stuffing the powder in the case. The 1900 FPS powders would be well over 112% of the useful case capacity. The heavier bullets (270 to 300 grains) would be longer than my bullet and further complicate pressure increases and further reduce useful case capacity.

I'm mentioning this as I think the 41 Mag should not be made something that it isn't. Right out of the box, the 44 Mag can doing everything the 41 Mag can and more making it a cheaper alternative to this project if the idea is push big bullets out the barrel.
Michael