Marbles Semi-buckhorn and Fiber Optic on 16" Carbine

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ptgarcia

Marbles Semi-buckhorn and Fiber Optic on 16" Carbine

Post by ptgarcia »

Like just about everyone other Rossi 16" carbine out there, my 16" chambered in 357 MAG shoots ridiculously high. So last night I installed a Marble's Sporting Rear Sight Carbine-Style 1-7/8" Short Blade Semi-Buckhorn with Double Step Elevator .275 to .505 Height Steel Blue and Marble's Front Sight .500" Height .531" Width Steel Blue 3/32" Fiber Optic Green to get this gun on paper.

Removal of the factory sights was unexciting, but it did take some very solid blows from my Grace brass drift and hammer to remove the factory front sight. The rear came off with much less effort.

Installation was pretty simple and straight forward. The rear sight went on without a hitch, fitting the dovetail nice and snug. The spring tension in the sight did make it quite difficult to fit the elevator, but with the help of a cable tie loop I was able to pull up on the blade to slip the elevator underneath.

The front needed a little work to fit. The front side on the sight base hit the barrel band, so I had to file a bevel into it for clearance. I didn't measure but I probably removed about 0.1" cut at a 45%%D angle. Once clear, the sight slid right into the dovetail, but a little too easily for my taste, so I put a couple small punch marks on the bottom. Just the tiniest of dimples displaced enough material to tighten it right up.

The resulting sight picture is quite nice; to me it is much better than stock. I recently put a fiber optic sight on the front of my 1911 and like it a lot so I thought I'd give it a shot on a rifle. I'll hit the range as soon as I get a chance to get it sighted in and report back if anything of significance occurs. I'll also take a couple pictures tonight and get them posted for those interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Marbles Semi-buckhorn and Fiber Optic on 16" Carbine

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Nice job
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
1894c

Post by 1894c »

good choice on both sights...
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

Nice looking job on the sights. I do have to ask, are you a Autocad operator?
ptgarcia

Post by ptgarcia »

I am. I do civil engineering and land surveying . How did you know?
Paul
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

Pretty simple. 45%%d for 45 degrees. It just looked kind of familiar. Piping designer in oil and gas here.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Daryl Licht wrote:Pretty simple. 45%%d for 45 degrees. It just looked kind of familiar. Piping designer in oil and gas here.

haha ..... yep I noticed that too (the world finally drug me into autocad with ver. 12 in the early 90's, and it took me forever to get over missing my midnight table time)

just a tip .... ALT-248 makes that nice little superscript circle "°"

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ptgarcia

Post by ptgarcia »

Haha, I didn't catch that!
Paul
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Pt,
Appreciate the links for the sights, id like to hear what you think of their advantage over the stock ones. I like the simplicity of them and could see myself going that route.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C

Post by 1892 »

I just tried using a Marble's "full buckhorn" rear sight...did not like that at all and quickly switched to a Marble's "flat-top" rear sight...the difference between the two is amazing. I see the front sight better with the flat-top than with the full buck-horn, especially at 100 yards...