Rossi 92 with BP sub

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Buckshot Dobbs

Rossi 92 with BP sub

Post by Buckshot Dobbs »

I shoot CAS and bought a '92 in 44 Mag as my backup gun, because my wife shoots one as her main gun and just loves it (she shoots that new fangled smokeless stuff). Well I shoot in a black powder category, so I loaded up some 44 mag with APP and some CoW filler, my usual loads in my Marlin. Well every time after about 4 or 5 rounds the rifle is very hard to chamber the next round. This seems like a blow back issue, with crud from blow back getting in the chamber and not allowing the next round to go in due to BP fouling and such. Any opinions and has anyone ever had this happen using BP or a substitute with a '92? Gonna try loading my rounds hotter and a tighter crimp to help with blow back, but open to more suggestions.

Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi 92 with BP sub

Post by akuser47 »

What bullets are you useing also what diameter are they. This will get us started better. Hope there is an easy fix I cannot help on this topic. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

sounds to me like too light a load and not enough pressure to expand the brass for a good seal. Just a WAG, but annealing the brass may soften it enough to expand easier if you need to shoot the lower pressure loads. Just my first thoughts.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Buckshot Dobbs

Post by Buckshot Dobbs »

So sorry it took me so long to reply, been sick.....I use a .430 cast RNFP round that I cast myself. Like I said I use APP and Cream of Wheat as filler....is it ok to tell the load information I use? I bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die today and I am about to start using a seriously tight crimp to try and help build pressure to seal the chamber.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Buckshot Dobbs wrote:is it ok to tell the load information I use?
Yeap, no problem with posting data. The rule here is for the reader to use it at his own risk!
Michael
Buckshot Dobbs

Post by Buckshot Dobbs »

Well the load I use is 1.3 cc of APP 3f and .7cc of Cream of Wheat in 44 mag brass
Buckshot Dobbs

Post by Buckshot Dobbs »

Well, to give an update on this, I took the rifle out Saturday and shot 20 rounds of APP thru the gun and after 10 rounds you simply have to swab the barrel. Just no way around it. I tried a tighter crimp but still had enough blow back in the chamber to where swabbing was necessary. At least it will run 10 without a problem so I can use it as a CAS backup gun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't know crap about practical use of Black Powder and know about the same with regard to BPSubstitute.

1.3 cc ?? I realize Black is most often loaded by volume rather than by weight but what does that correspond to WRT grain weight?

http://americanpioneerpowder.com/loading.html

IF I'm reading that right they are recommending a MAX charge of 25 grains of APP Tripple Fg behind a 200 grain bullet for .44 Maggie. For lesser loads Filler allowed. Desired to compress powder charge / filler ~ 1/16".

Does the Marlin have the same problems at all?
What is the rate of twist and type of grooves on the Marlin?
What is the rate of twist on the Rossi?

How many rounds have you fired through the Rossi?
You might want to consider running 50-100 jacketed rounds through the gun to possibly smooth things out with the barrel OR possibly running a fire lap on it?
remus

Post by remus »

I shoot black powder in 45-70 and 45-100 rifles and I've found that most of my fouling problems are solved with using a good lube. Also lube is important in muzzle loaders. You might experiment with different lubes for alleviating some of your problem. I've found the bullets lubed with the waxy lubes seem to cause more problems when using black powder. I use Crisco with some alox and a little vegetable oil all mixed up.