A positive comment on Rossi QA

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

A positive comment on Rossi QA

Post by Model 52 »

This is something we don't see enough of. Everyone complains about the bad ones, but too few people mention the good ones.

This Sunday I took 3 lever guns out shooting - My Winchester Big Bore 94 in .375 Win (early production, 1978 BB00018xx serial number) my 1973 "shooter" Model 94 in .30-30 and my Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.

I noted while shooting my usual .38-55 level 245 gr cast bullet loads in my .375 Win that it is developing two hairline cracks along the upper shoulders of the tang. On closure inspection and with some careful positioning of back lighting you can see a very fine gap between stock and receiver on the top of the stock where it meets the receiver and a mis matched angle at the front of the stock where it meets the receiver. Given those faults, all the recoil forces are placed on the shoulder of the tang, and the stock screw through the tang. It's not a large gap but it's enough to cause issues. And it's a QA failure on a WInchester XTR at a time when they were actually building pretty good carbines.

(As an aside, it had been an unfired safe queen until a previous owner left it too long in the safe after handling it, with some vey small rust freckles forming where his hand had been around the receiver. Not noticeable from more than a few inches away once addressed and oiled, but enough to kill the collector value and cause him to sell it to me for a great price where I promptly put it to work as a shooter. So it's 37 years old, but has only been shot a couple years and still has a fairly low round count.)

So…thinking I'll need to fix it by relieving some wood in the shoulder area, and by filling in the gap with some discreetly applied acraglas, before I shoot it again, I put it way and got my Rossi Model 92 out to shoot. I noted the wood in that area of the stock looks like it grew there - which is good as my every day 250 gr cast bullet .45 Colt load develops the same velocity as my 245 gr .38-55/.375 Win cast bullet load.

Rossi may get a few wrong now and then, but they did a great job on mine, and it's one of those rifles that I like more every time I shoot it.

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: A positive comment on Rossi QA

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good I love hearing the good. Seems you have a good one as I do. I only wanted to smooth mine it it was not a need on mine. keep us posted. really nice pic you took
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Bglenn

Post by Bglenn »

It is great to hear the positive. I'm one of the lucky ones to have bought two 92s, both of which functioned flawlessly, and didn't need any action work. I just sold one to buy a Uberti I had wanted for a long time, and the 92 I still have is as much fun to shoot as the new Uberti.
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

Yep, the R92 rifle in .357 mag that I purchased last summer has been great right out of the box. I have torn it down and made it smoother, but no more dependable than it was on day one. My grandson got a .357 mag carbine for Christmas. What little it has been shot has led me to believe this to be another good one.
Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Well mine is about 1 1/2 yrs. . Fired about 5k rounds(CASmain match rifle). Once the kinks were worked out it's been flawless.
N.C.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So far on mine I'm reasonably pleased, BUT I haven't had mine apart yet and I'm leery until I've done so and got them back together without breaking any screw heads or other parts that would require the gun to be returned to the importer for replacement. I can tell the machined edges are in need of deburring but the comments about being oversprung seem to be a little less applicable on my guns than what I've been hearing.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Well in my experience I have had 5 Rossi levers in 4 different calibers over 20 some years. Thankfully I am now down to one Rossi 92. I had lived a dream of a cheap quality lever but it never came to pass.
Their lack of quality control; function; looks etcetra belies their low price point and if YOU CAN FIND a gun dealer who will take it in trade later and you can convince has not much wrong with it you are lucky.
The only interest if you are trying to flog these seems to be in private sales
I think Ranch Dogs warning over their NEW warranty process is mandatory reading.
Sorry but thats been my experience and their Ranch Hand ( again personal experience) is crap compared to Chiappa. They have good ideas but fail to deliver too often to too many.

Doc.