R92 480 Ruger Scout

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R92 480 Ruger Scout

Post by Ranch Dog »

deadkelly wrote:waiting for the hunts results ??? :mrgreen:
Didn't see any hogs, just deer. Tried to stay out awhile but I was in the wrong part of my place despite a pretty good moon up overhead, it was pitch dark out there. Came on it for supper and the 480 is going to take over the "night watch" from the 45 Colt.

Posted my 100-yard target in this topic: 480 Ruger Bullet Mold - TLC478-375-RF
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

An update on this rifle...I have added the Rossi synthetic cheek piece to my rifle as I found target acquisition slower off the lower comb of the stock and adding the cheek piece eliminated the error between comb and the axis of the scope bells. Outside the US, Rossi sells a combo pack of the scope base and cheek piece. Go figure? I also noticed that the felt recoil is less when shooting the 480 Ruger after shooting the rifle a dozen times yesterday afternoon without any ill effect, something I haven't been able to do until this change. Most noticeable was when I woke up this morning it did not feel that I had been slugged in the jaw. Very improved.

An update was made to the scope rings, I am now using Burris Signature Zee Rings with 20°%@*&$-Align Offset Inserts in the rings to compensate for the lack of taper on the 480 barrel. I had originally used a shim inside a Weaver steel ring to figure out what correction was needed but that is actually bending the tube and bad of the life of the scope especially under heavy recoil. The Burris Signature Zee Rings are the only rings that I'm aware of that can compensate for barrel taper issues. A lot of the early 338 Marlin Express owners had to use these rings for barrel droop.

Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Nice looking Michael, I'll use this as a reference for the work I do to mine.

I don't understand how the felt recoil changed unless your cheek weld changed? Is it easier now to pick up the scoped image?

Ken

Ahhh...just re-read your post. I see the added synthetic component. Nice.
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trailboss wrote:Nice looking Michael, I'll use this as a reference for the work I do to mine.

I don't understand how the felt recoil changed unless your cheek weld changed? Is it easier now to pick up the scoped image?

Ken

Ahhh...just re-read your post. I see the added synthetic component. Nice.

I will get a picture up of the complete rifle in a bit. Lifting my head slightly off the wood stock to align with the scope tube was giving me a good jolt. The 480 helps you understand the purpose of the cheek piece better than the other cartridges!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here you go... kind of hard to take a good picture of a rifle.

Michael
temmi

Post by temmi »

VERY NICE

Snake
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Here you go... kind of hard to take a good picture of a rifle.

The gun has the "legacy look" I like.
Back when the guns were first made they were looked on as a tool like a hoe or an axe & cept for the fancy grade versions the wood was usually "plain jane" like the Brazilian mystery wood of today.
Except for the plastic cheek rest, the recoil pad & pigtail the gun could be a real Winchester 92 that had been discovered after being forgotten in an attic chest for 80 years or so that has been subsequently oiled & polished up.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

RD: I can see at a glance that your shop is a heck of a lot cleaner & more organized than the "disaster area" I call a work bench. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:RD: I can see at a glance that your shop is a heck of a lot cleaner & more organized than the "disaster area" I call a work bench. :D
The picture just caught it on a good day!

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael