Circuit Judge scope mount keeps coming loose

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

Circuit Judge scope mount keeps coming loose

Post by retAFShooter »

Ok, this is getting very annoying... the scope mount on my replacement CJ keeps coming loose. This is the second time, even after blue loctite. The screws keep coming loose. I will try it one more time, if that doesn't hold, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Any thoughts?
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Circuit Judge scope mount keeps coming loose

Post by Ranch Dog »

retAFShooter wrote:I will try it one more time, if that doesn't hold, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Use Red Locktite. Seriously. I use it on screws that attach a base/mount to the firearm. If I need to remove a screw that I used "Red" on installation, I apply heat to a screwdriver with a propane torch, let the screwdriver tip sit on the screw head for a few seconds, and then tap the back of the screw driver with a light hammer. That breaks the seal and the screw releases.

Rossi just recently started to anodize their Single Shot mounts instead of painting them and I cannot tell from your video if what the finish is on yours. My CJ mounts were painted so I would remove the paint from the bottom of the mount & the screw holes. This was a huge problem with the R92 base. If paint was used on the mount, even Red Locktite will not help, the screws will not move but the paint will wear between them and the mount.

I've never really understood the Blue that is supplied with some mounts. The just converted three Marlins; a 336D, 44P, & 444P to the XS Scout (base & receiver sights). All three had traditional Weaver bases that they had worn for at least a decade. They had never failed and I used the heat trick mentioned above to remove them as they were completely secure after all that time. XS supplied "Blue" Loctite but there is no way I would consider using it for something that is going to hold at near a pound under heavy recoil. It will not stand the test of time. "Blue" is fine with hammer spurs or other light objects on a firearm.

I want to add that I don't use anything on the rings.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I read all said, good wizdom. Paint can act like a lubricant between two parts.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yep and at minimum wear away making space. Blue is weak..intended for places where common disassembly is expected.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.