Rossi Parts Update!

This forum is for members to relate their experience with the RossiUSA restricted parts policy. Posts must be reasonable and civil. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
firebyprolong

Re: Rossi Parts Update!

Post by firebyprolong »

How is an ejector and ejector collar a restricted part? I don't have this issue ordering class 3 parts which are actually "restricted". The fact that this policy is still in place is a joke. Had I known rossi considered there own products throw away, I would have bought a marlin 94 who will still supply factory parts. After a phone call to rossi customer service to get a replacement collar due to the original cracking in half in the rifle and finding the only option is to ship the whole rifle in to get a 4$ at most part. I am just a little %@*&$.
That being said a 27 cent 1/8 inch compressed roll pin welded shut over a mandrel, cut to length, stoned flat and hardened is actually smoother than the stock part. Sorry not a great first post but that's a lot of work that should never have had to happen.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks for all your hard work, RD! Hopefully this results in a permanent change. Until then, my money stays in my pocket.
But I'd rather have available parts and a couple of Rossi levers in my collection... +guns
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

klr wrote:Thanks for all your hard work, RD! Hopefully this results in a permanent change. Until then, my money stays in my pocket.
But I'd rather have available parts and a couple of Rossi levers in my collection... +guns
+1
At a local dealer I saw a R92 45LC carbine with a case hardened receiver that I really really liked and it was pretty slick right off the rack and passed my pre-buy inspection hands down.

When I walked out the door I had a Remlin 336C in 35 Rem under my arm instead of the R92.

Reason: BrazTech restricted parts policy
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm going to give Rossi the benefit of the doubt for now. If they do in fact show that they are moving towards making such parts as springs, pins, screws, extractors (and associated parts), ejectors and associated parts, replacements for defective sights, etc, available, sometime within the next 6 to 8 months, and fully implemented within a year, I will feel comfortable enough in "collecting" more Rossi long guns. Having bought my grandson a Rossi junior combo single about 10-12 years ago, I lost a lot of faith in the company when they couldn't send a replacement for a lost rear sight in the .22 barrel. I spent three years contacting (or trying) customer service, only to be told none available but call back in a month or two. In the mean time, he out grew the gun for it's intended purposes although he still has it and would love to take the scope off that we mounted (to replace the lost rear factory sight) so he could easily carry it in the neat little carry bag. We bought him a rather poorly crafted Remlin 336 for Christmas three years ago, and a few months ago I was thinking of buying him a .357 or .44 mag R92 for his birthday next month. Maybe next year.

Personally, after doing the "keltec fluff and buff" on my R92 .44 mag, I'm well satisfied with the performance. I am a bit apprehensive about such parts as the ejector and extractor as they are 100% proprietary parts. Springs, pins and screws can probably be replaced with third party parts, but shouldn't have to be. I don't really mind doing a bit of smoothing and polishing to speed up "break in", but I'm NOT a big fan on the idea of spending my money and time to ship a gun back to the mothership just to have a simple three dollar part replaced that I can do myself in 20-30 minutes.

When all the simple parts are available to us, I will certainly be buying more Rossi lever guns, as will my son and grandson. Not until.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

mr surveyor wrote:We bought him a rather poorly crafted Remlin 336 for Christmas three years ago
Remlin was right in the sump of their learning curve back then. I bought a coupla reject Guide Guns from my usual dealer dirt cheap and spent a winter practically rebuilding them.
They're real good shooters now & I learned alot about Marlin 1895s & 336s.
When I stripped, cleaned, tuned-up & customized the Remlin 336C I bought a few days ago I didn't even have to think about what I was doing.......it was all pre-recorded muscle memory like playing back a video recording.

Moral of the story: You can be dextrous and have plenty of mechanical smarts but you can't do anything without parts. Without access to parts your gun is a throw-away gun. :mrgreen:

*the Remlins are a lot better now than they were 3 years ago.......like night & day. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

pricedo,

With respect to your first post on this thread. I'll note that it at least shows progress. While 2 models may not be a lot it is something.
---

With respect to the 'perfect part' mentality from Rossi on spares. I will not totally agree. I do NOT expect a company to keep every part in stock for models that are no longer in production. While that would be nice I know spares run out. With today's modern manufacturing and the ability to CNC most parts such that you should be able to position a bit of raw stock in a mill and hit a button to produce the part. It SHOULD be possible to produce spares as required although the price per part is a bit more than we'd like in an on demand manufacturing setup. While a perfect part would be nice getting a part that can be fitted, if required, to function is all that I really need (although instructions in what to fit would be exceptionally nice).

Hopefully we won't get a restricted to serial number range _______ to _________ and your gun doesn't qualify so you can't get any such part policy. Perhaps a warning that the part is not for that block and may not fit but you can buy it anyway policy. A notice of whether or not the part CAN be fitted would be nice but I don't expect the manufacturer to check everything in such a way so the note would be for obvious misfits caused by reasonably major redesigns.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I ordered a bag of screws for the muzzle end of the barrel/tube ring and never did get them though I got the forestock/barrel screws with in 4 days. I finally gave up trying to get them.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Archer wrote:pricedo,

With respect to your first post on this thread. I'll note that it at least shows progress. While 2 models may not be a lot it is something.

With respect to the 'perfect part' mentality from Rossi on spares. I will not totally agree. I do NOT expect a company to keep every part in stock for models that are no longer in production. While that would be nice I know spares run out. With today's modern manufacturing and the ability to CNC most parts such that you should be able to position a bit of raw stock in a mill and hit a button to produce the part. It SHOULD be possible to produce spares as required although the price per part is a bit more than we'd like in an on demand manufacturing setup. While a perfect part would be nice getting a part that can be fitted, if required, to function is all that I really need (although instructions in what to fit would be exceptionally nice).

Hopefully we won't get a restricted to serial number range _______ to _________ and your gun doesn't qualify so you can't get any such part policy. Perhaps a warning that the part is not for that block and may not fit but you can buy it anyway policy. A notice of whether or not the part CAN be fitted would be nice but I don't expect the manufacturer to check everything in such a way so the note would be for obvious misfits caused by reasonably major redesigns.
I commend RDs efforts on our behalf but I remain skeptical that Mr. Kressner will do anything real to remedy the situation. If the rifles are selling like the proverbial hotcakes I forsee no incentive on Rossis part to change anything.

In regards to the "perfect part" mentality on spares I accept no ownership of that idea. I too don't believe that a manufacturer should be obliged to stock parts for archaic products. What I do believe is that the manufacturer should allow owners of their firearms to purchase parts for currently manufactured models at a reasonable price. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

But beens they have a nich market maybe they are thinking of expanding options to break their own mold. I can only hope to see their product line expand with supporting parts and maybe well finished options on rifles.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

This is not the Rossi Rant thread section so those types of comments are out of place here. Just my opinion so you get what you paid for.

Right, wrong, or indifferent we all know their current policy and how it has affected many of us. We've read it, heard it, lived it. This horse is dead. Let's move on.

Thanks RD for engaging Mr Kressner in that conversation and spending your valuable time on the subject. What you did was completely charity work. On the part of your loyal forum members, fellow Rossi owners, and for the Rossi manufacturer. You are to be commended for your altruistic character. That he would contact you personally testifies to your ability to think through the problems, analyze the needs, and communicate them clearly and concisely.

I expect all of us who might want a part, could potentially screw up a part in the future, or would like to buy another Rossi in the future are waiting with much anxiety to see if and how quickly they get around to completing this new initiative. I can understand Braztech's desire to "get the right part" to the buyers. While many of us on this forum could easily deal with a "sorta right part" and make it work, many people expect a replacement for a gun to fit like a replacement lug nut on their 2010 minivan because they have no gun or mechanical skills to speak of. If you doubt that, just take a look at the reviews on Midway USA for peep sights where some disgruntled buyer returned the part because it didn't work with his original front sight height. Rossi could just as easily get a bad name from that scenario with "gunsmithing required" parts as for not offering parts at all. We know the Rossi's are essentially 95% finished when we buy them. We buy them anyway and do the final fit/finish ourselves. But there are a lot of folks out there who expect a new gun to work out of the box like a light bulb does. It doesn't happen for under $500 in this world.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver