RG45-70S Ejector and Spring Replacement

This forum is for members to relate their experience with the RossiUSA restricted parts policy. Posts must be reasonable and civil. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
johnreilly

Re: RG45-70S Ejector and Spring Replacement

Post by johnreilly »

In the photo the marlin ejector is on the left. It has a slightly longer "point" on it which should allow for some adjustment.
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

johnreilly wrote:45-70
John Reilly, yo da man! +guns

Well, I was ordering some other supplies from Midway and they just so happened to have a Wild West Guns Stainless ejector/spring for a Marlin 336 in stock for $21.99. If that doesn't work, I can try a Marlin factory part and then perhaps pass the WWG part on to someone who owns one of those Marlins. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and of course, I'll post my progress here! +corn

This sure has been a learning experience!
NRA-RSO, SAF, GOA, MSI, MSRPA, SLSC
FFL 03, MD Designated Regulated Firearms Collector

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

BeerHunter wrote:

Well, I was ordering some other supplies from Midway and they just so happened to have a Wild West Guns Stainless ejector/spring for a Marlin 336 in stock for $21.99. If that doesn't work, I can try a Marlin factory part and then perhaps pass the WWG part on to someone who owns one of those Marlins. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and of course, I'll post my progress here! +corn

Thanks! We aim to please.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If the Marlin part is bigger than the Rossi part you're in business.
With a little care you might be able to nip & tuck it enough to fit.
If the Marlin part is smaller than the corresponding Rossi part you can't "grow" metal.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

pricedo wrote:If the Marlin part is bigger than the Rossi part you're in business.
With a little care you might be able to nip & tuck it enough to fit.
If the Marlin part is smaller than the corresponding Rossi part you can't "grow" metal.
Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at John Reilly's posts in this thread, it appears the Marlin 336 ejector/spring is interchangeable with the Rossi RG4570 ejector/spring, at least on his rifles. The photo of the two (Marlin on the left, Rossi on the right) side-by-side gives me hope my rifle will be back in commission, sooner or later, no thanks to Braztech's "help". If I strike out on the simple route, I'll have to give Steve's Gunz my business.

Additionally, it's good to know the laws of physics haven't changed all that much, at least within my 30+ year experienced engineer's mind and capabilities. However, emerging technologies (that are beyond my resources to bring to bear on this rifle) apparently actually can "grow" metal, so-to-speak (see: http://www.gizmag.com/go/5312/). ;)

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Steve Young is good at what he does and is very much in demand and I imagine he's booked up solid most of the time with the repair, modification, customization jobs that he is famous for.
I also heard from internet chatter from other forums that he has had health problems which caused his volume of backlogged jobs to swell even more.
If you're planning on using that gun for hunting this fall and the Marlin fitting plan doesn't work out I'd make contacts with Steve & other gun smiths ASAP in regards to time frame unless you are willing to take a chance on the sledge hammer swinging neanderthals at Rossi CS defying the odds & getting it right.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

BeerHunter wrote:

Don't worry, if the WWG Ejector doesn't work in your RG I'll trade you the Ejector from my 336 that worked in my RG for it. Actually I'll go ahead and send it to you now if you want to try it out. Let me know.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Your avatar is a nice pic of Chuck Connors who is one of my all time favorite western stars.
I remember as a boy sitting beside my dad watching "The Rifleman" many an evening in front of the old black & white TV set.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

johnreilly wrote:
BeerHunter wrote:

Don't worry, if the WWG Ejector doesn't work in your RG I'll trade you the Ejector from my 336 that worked in my RG for it. Actually I'll go ahead and send it to you now if you want to try it out. Let me know.
Thanks very much for your very generous offer! I can afford a little time so instead of you and I sending vital parts back and forth, I can wait a bit for the WWG part to arrive and see if it solves my problem. If that doesn't work, I'll take you up on your offer and hope that settles it! Whatever the result, I'll report back to everyone here and assuming it works, I plan to order a second part to keep on hand as a spare in case I screw up again or the part ever breaks; probably over-kill but this latest episode has me a little on edge. I'd really hate to have this firearm end up as fit for nothing more than a Cracker Barrell wall piece!

BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

pricedo wrote:Your avatar is a nice pic of Chuck Connors who is one of my all time favorite western stars.
I remember as a boy sitting beside my dad watching "The Rifleman" many an evening in front of the old black & white TV set.
Watching Chuck Connors and "The Rifleman" TV show as a kid was THE reason I decided when I was 8 years old that I would someday own a lever-gun. Lucas McCain was a father-figure role model for me as a young kid being raised by a single mom. So a picture of him was an obvious choice for an avatar and I never considered any other! :)