Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Post by Archer »

Smith has been running a rebate coupon on the M&P guns including the Shield this month.
Since the Shield 9 and 40 are the only Smith guns on the rebate that are on the CA DOJ approved list and since PSA was running a $15 deal on spare mags I looked into it and couldn't quite turn one down.
I'd have much rather gone with a .45 ACP but it's not on the list.
GasGuzzler

Re: Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought my Shield9 from an individual with box, papers, receipt and all the original parts in un-used condition for $270 no taxes so I can't complain.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've had this little gun out to the range a couple times so far and it's worked flawlessly.
I've been able to get good groups out of it. Way beyond what I expected to be seeing out of a not quite last ditch anti-goblin gun.

One of my coworkers did try it out and while it functioned fine I couldn't see where she was hitting and neither could she. She shot everything else that day darned well with lead right on target. She's kind of tiny however and I suspect it recoiled a mite more for her than it did for me. She was also very frugal with my ammo. I joked next time I'd have to teach her how to fully load the magazines as she generally took only about 3-4 shots at a time.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Archer wrote: I joked next time I'd have to teach her how to fully load the magazines as she generally took only about 3-4 shots at a time.
The Shield mags springs are stiff and the Maglula Uplula loader helps fully load it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

That may be somewhat true but she loaded EVERYTHING that way from the .22 LR BuckMark Contour, BHP 9mm, Kimber Custom Target 1911, Springfield Champion 4" 1911, and the CZ-75B in 9mm.

She shot everything to a darned near i dotting fare thee well except for the Shield.

When I asked her why 3 or 4 rounds she said: 'Well, my dad doesn't like me shooting up all his ammo.'
She also said that the guns I brought out to the range were much easier to shoot than her father's.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

I do that partial mag load also (3 rounds), to slow down my target practice with semi-autos. :)

Many people report accuracy improvement with some grip tape or Talon grips.

A couple of Shield specific heads ups. Remove and lube the mag release button and the bore it rides in. The button is coated steel and once the coating wears off, the steel can rust and seize the release. It happened to me.

For 9mm Shields produced in 2017, keep an eye on the locking block spring position. It can protrude from it's slot and jamb the slide. If it's proud of the slot, it can be tapped in and might stay put.

A spring that came completely out:

Good and bad spring position compared:

Good luck with yours.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I love mine (the wife’s actually). Her P95 is a little large for her hands, the Shield fits but harder to rack for her. She controls each fine. Blink and flinch are her lack of practice. The longer magazine helps her small hands and my normal man hands with long thin fingers. I refuse to tape or boot anything but I have a long list of personal pet peeve gun rules.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm tempted on the Talon grip tape.
I've got a buddy running it on his Ruger LC9, a Beretta Px4 and I think maybe a Springfield XD.

I'm not exactly anti tape but I don't as a rule go that route on any of my guns so far.
My Px4 fits my hand and doesn't slip around. Haven't so far had issue with the Shield but haven't been messing with it long or in a lot of hot weather yet.

I do agree the longer mag gives better control. I tend to shoot the short one on principle a time or two for each time or two I run a long one. This range trip we were using the long one only. I have six long ones and just the one short. I think I need another shorty just because. A couple vendors have run specials on the long ones and the one I bit on had a minimum buy for free shipping. I was planning on maybe sharing with one or two of my buds but sort of decided not to on the one and the other apparently didn't bite on the gun despite telling me he planned on it earlier.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Archer wrote: A couple vendors have run specials on the long ones and the one I bit on had a minimum buy for free shipping.
I saw that but did not take advantage.