New 357 on the way to PA

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

New 357 on the way to PA

Post by Steelbanger »

Ah yes, yesterday I visited my dealer and he called in my order to Davidson's for a blued Ruger 77/357. No walnut stock though as it only comes with a black synthetic one. It should be here on Monday. The supplied rings are always too high so they have to be sent back to Ruger for a lower set. What this means is that it probably won't be fired until after a few weeks pass. Meanwhile I can load some trial loads. The plan is to only use heavier Ranch Dog FN bullets pushed to near max velocities. I'll keep everyone posted on how this new one will shoot.

Fingers crossed.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New 357 on the way to PA

Post by Archer »

There was one of these in the shop I hang around at for quite some time.
Nice rifle BUT at the price point it wasn't something very many folks here wanted.
This area tends to be LONG range rifles, AR platforms and cowboy action shooters.

The Ruger 77/.357 makes a nice gun for those states requiring straight walled cartridges for deer at reasonably short ranges but that ain't SoCal.

Let us know how it works out.
The one out here sold when a fellow from the LA area called looking for it. I think by then the shop had dropped the price a little but he wanted it bad enough to pay list.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm looking forward to your experiences. My Son bought a 77/357 about 2-3 months ago, but hasn't even had the time to develop a load for it, or sight in the Leupold "pig-plex" scope he mounted. They are very well made guns .... I wouldn't mind having one myself :)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got it yet?
Got it to the range yet?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Archer wrote:Got it yet?
Got it to the range yet?

DITTO what Archer said......

time for that range report :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I am still waiting for the rifle to arrive. Talk about slow. My dealer told me that Davidson's was conducting an inventory which was holding up their deliveries. Hopefully the rifle is waiting for me.

Remember that the Ruger rings that come with the rifle are very high and must be exchanged for a set of lower rings. That will take almost two weeks. Load development will come after that.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Holy bejeepers! "My" 77/357 was sent back to Davidson's through some type of error on the clerk at my local GS. Right now it is supposed to be on the road back here. Now my fingers are crossed. So until I have it in my hands mum is the word here. Davidson's shows none in stock now for this blue model and only one of the stainless model.

I hate to ask this but what more can happen?
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:I hate to ask this but what more can happen?
Oh no... you just had to ask that!
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Ruger 77's are darn nice little rifles. I used to have one in .22 Hornet and wish I still did. Good luck with getting yours back soon.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A Ruger will be my next purchase, I will buy the American Ranch Rifle Compact as soon as they are available. I see the 300BLK as having the potential for a great cast bullet rifle.

I've put all the work on my 300 Savage on hold waiting to get some idea of how far down the road it will be until this rifle shows up. I have near 800 300 Savage cases that I bought at the right price so I can turn a profit on this that cartridge pretty quick. Just the new primed 300 Savage brass that I have would pay for the rifle.
Michael