92 ejector spring replacement

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Blind Hawg

92 ejector spring replacement

Post by Blind Hawg »

In an effort to reduce the distance of ejected empty cases and lessen force required to open and close the action, I tried a hardware store replacement spring today. I had seen where a Century C-530 spring measuring 7/32 x 1 x .020" would do the job. I found a C-650 1-3/4" spring and trimmed to 1" long.
After I installed it and reassembled the rifle did in fact drop the case at my feet but, the action wouldn't stay closed. I assume that the spring loaded ejector loads the locking bolts to keep the action closed.
Would a longer spring help?
Nashville Stage

Re: 92 ejector spring replacement

Post by Nashville Stage »

The first thing I'd suggest is looking at the small spring-loaded latching nub on the lever. It's located right where the lever passes through the receiver when the lever is in the closed position. That should hold the lever closed, but it might be seized up in the retracted position.

Yes, a stronger ejection spring should add more loading to the bolt lugs and hold everything closed. How long of a spring you can use will have a limit, as eventually the coils will have to compress so much that they touch each other and bind up.

You could also try using a spring with a thicker wire instead. The spring's rate (how much force it takes to compress for each given distance) is the unit of measure you're looking for.
Blind Hawg

Post by Blind Hawg »

Thanks. Next time it’s apart for cleaning I’ll check that latch. It works ok with original spring though. I may try a 1/4” longer spring since I have a few more to cut. If that don’t work I’ll get an after market spring.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

You don't need to take it apart to inspect the latch. It's easily visible as soon as you open the lever a little bit. On mine, it's a silver steel piece that sticks out from the lever.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The other function of the ejector is that it acts as an out of battery safety preventing the firing pin from reaching the primer until the action is fully closed.