Refinishing my 92 wood

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Refinishing my 92 wood

Post by rondog »

I keep hearing about the "Brazilian mystery wood" on these rifles, but danged if mine doesn't look like walnut to me. My new walnut stock from PGW, unfitted and unsanded, looks just like the stock off my Rossi, freshly stripped and sundried. I'm just gonna sand it a little then hit it with the BLO. Might put some Fairtrimmers Military oX on it first for a bit of color.

Thoughts? Tried attaching photos but I guess they're too big
GasGuzzler

Re: Refinishing my 92 wood

Post by GasGuzzler »

We'd love to see pics but I have to ask about the fit of the new stock. Not many here have any success with aftermarket wood stocks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

I just heard something interesting about the Brazilian mystery wood. I'd been hearing good things about Renaissance wax as a gun protectant finish, so I ordered some and it arrived home in SC yesterday (I'm in NY). My husband was curious and took it upon himself to start using it.

I just got off the phone with him and he said the wood on the Rossi 92 transformed from a featureless orange to a handsome grained wood resembling walnut. He said the rag where he applied the wax had an orange tint to it, but not very dark. He said it's much nicer looking and will apply another coat tomorrow.

Can't wait to see it.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

zippy wrote:I just heard something interesting about the Brazilian mystery wood. I'd been hearing good things about Renaissance wax as a gun protectant finish, so I ordered some and it arrived home in SC yesterday (I'm in NY). My husband was curious and took it upon himself to start using it.

I just got off the phone with him and he said the wood on the Rossi 92 transformed from a featureless orange to a handsome grained wood resembling walnut. He said the rag where he applied the wax had an orange tint to it, but not very dark. He said it's much nicer looking and will apply another coat tomorrow.

Can't wait to see it.
Sounds promising, this Ren Wax, but i dont know anything about refinishing wood. What did he use to strip(?) the old finish?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

GRV01 wrote:Sounds promising, this Ren Wax, but i dont know anything about refinishing wood. What did he use to strip(?) the old finish?
That's the interesting part. He didn't strip anything. Just rubbed the wax on with a soft cloth and buffed it out.

The wax is refined from crude oil, so that probably explains the color coming off on the applicator cloth. I have not seen it yet but previously there was no grain visible and it looked like the color of a red picnic bench. He said the red color is gone and the grain is now showing with the color of walnut. Just from one wax application.

I'll try to get him to send a pic after he does the second coat.

BTW, I got the wax for my handguns because the area under the grips gets a crud buildup and I wanted to protect the metal.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Yup, looked it up myself on Midway ($30 for a 7oz jar) and they have a little video showcasing the wax and the user justs applies it and the old finish (and rust!) just come off. The clip also recommends using underneath wooden pistol grips on the inside for exactly what you described

This sounds like an amazing and idiot proof product so just perfect for me. My 92 is the same way as yours, ugly featureless finish on the stock that came off when i was sweating on it after a hot range day although mine was made in '13 and wifeys from '15 has a much richer (read: visible) grain on the stock so maybe not an issue on newer models

Cant wait to see your pictures
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Well, my can of Fairtrimmers had dried up, bummed me right out. So it's just the 50/50 BLO/turpentine for it. Looks pretty good, still working on it. That wood is soaking that stuff in like a sponge. Pretty obvious it ain't walnut though. Don't really care, as long as it looks better than it did.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

GasGuzzler wrote:We'd love to see pics but I have to ask about the fit of the new stock. Not many here have any success with aftermarket wood stocks.
PGW makes their stocks oversized, so they have to be finish-fitted by the purchaser. They're not "drop in" ready. So woodworking skills and tools are necessary. The stocks I've bought from Boyd's were the same way.

IMO, I wouldn't want a "drop-in" stock, as it would surely have gaps and other issues. I don't want a finish on them either, raw wood please. I get great satisfaction from making a stock fit correctly and then sanding and finishing it myself! Must have trimmed 3 pounds of walnut off my M1 stock to get the slim profile I wanted.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've done plentry of stocks too but most people want it close to start.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Well, phooey. I don't know what this wood is, but it doesn't play well with Boiled Linseed Oil. Spent all day yesterday oiling it up, today it's all blotchy and streaky, looks like ass. Gotta start over.

Apparently, this wood NEEDS to be stained first. So, going to try and see if I can get enough oil out of it to get it to take some stain. Grrrrr.

My recommendation for this "mystery wood", stain it first!