What Spare Parts to Keep?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Iplayfarmer

What Spare Parts to Keep?

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I'm picking up a second R92 this evening that has a broken extractor. I went through the exercise of calling Rossi, and I was told that I can buy the part (after some level of confusion). Shipping is $9.

Here is my question...
If I'm paying for shipping on the extractor what other parts should I buy just to have on hand?

Another way to word the question might be...
What parts are prone to break on these R92's that are worth buying ahead of time?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: What Spare Parts to Keep?

Post by Archer »

Check the Similar topics at the bottom of the page.
I don't currently have any spares on hand for these guns. I might get around to ordering some or I might just buy another of them if I find it on sale at a good price so that one is a source of spare parts if it happens to break for the others.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Early on when parts weren't a big deal; I bought all the screws, plus a couple of locking bolt pin and ejector collars as I could see losing them. Did the same with the Rio Grande and bought the loose parts from a Single Shot (lower row in image). Taking care of this was one of the smartest things I've done. I do have five 92s and three RGs to support. The Single Shots are gone so I will sell the parts on ebay this spring.

Michael
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Thanks for the advice. It so happens that the part I need is the ejector (not the extractor). I call Rossi at 7:00 at night and got great service. After I ordered the ejector, which happens to be back ordered, I simply asked the tech what parts does he get asked for the most. I had him give me one of each until I got up to about $25 worth of stuff. The ejector was a little over $3 to buy. I know that he recommended a front barrel band screw, a magazine spring, and a follower. I don't remember what all else he's sending me, but I'll have some spare parts on hand.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal. Amazing that they sold you an ejector without requiring that the whole bolt be purchased. Let us know when your parts arrive.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea it seems if you keep calling you might get lucky and get a tech willing to sell what is needed. I'm glad you got your parts coming keep us posted. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Quick update on this parts order. I called Rossi back at the end of January to check on the back order. Their shipment came in, but there was no ejector in the shipment. So, I get to check back again at the end of February.

In the mean time I got sick of waiting and did some research and made some phone calls. I ordered an ejector from M&M gunsmithing out of Virginia (http://www.mmgunsmith.com/). The ejector cost me $40 instead of $3, but it arrived in two days. I ordered it on a Saturday and received it on Tuesday. On the phone they said they have most all parts for this Rossi.

Here's the rub... It took 3 hours of "fitting" with a file, stone, and fine grit sand paper to make it fit the bolt. I think I ended up taking a few thousandths off of every surface of that silly little part. I haven't canceled the order yet from Rossi USA. I think I'll just let it stand for now as I wouldn't mind having all the other parts, and for the extra $3 it's worth having a spare ejector. Maybe if the part still isn't in by the end of February I'll cancel it then.

The good news is that I have the gun back together now, and it ejects dummy rounds great when I'm sitting in the living room cycling the action. I expect it will do the same at the range. I did put the lighter spring from harbor freight in the ejector, and it's pretty smooth.

Another bonus is that when looking at the internals of this rifle I would believe it if someone told me it's had less than a box of ammo through it. There was very little wear on the mating surfaces. I had considered slicking things up like I did with my other rifle, but I could hardly tell what parts were rubbing because most of the bluing on the internals was still intact. In the end I'm very happy with this purchase.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Ranch Dog wrote:...Let us know when your parts arrive.
Another update: I have never cancelled this order, and 10 months later I still do not have any parts. I'm very glad that I ordered the ejector from M&M.

Maybe one day I'll be surprised with a package on my door step and a charge on my credit card, but until then I'm considering this order from Rossi a failure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the follow-up. Yeah, don't think it's going to happen.
Michael
dalek

Post by dalek »

FYI, this is the reason I started threads about the locking lugs and bolt and the extractor. I believe the more options and alternatives we can get for parts the longer we can keep the rifles. I've always hated to be dependent on a single vendor, something companies I know do not understand.

But, not only getting parts but also knowing how to install them and understand how they are supposed to work.

<rant>One of the things that do get to me is when I am told that I am not supposed to understand how X works, instead should take X to a gunsmith/mechanic/Geek Squad/dealer. With all due respect to those professionals (at least the ones who are not related to Bubba), what they do is not magic. They have to learn how the system works first. And, from personal experience and knowing people on the other side of the fence, they do appreciate when you too understand how the system works at the very least enough to be able to describe the problem and the steps you made to troubleshoot it.</rant>