Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Great job Centaur!! I used a dremel and went real slow until I felt it was no longer binding the firing pin. I did the same only removing metal where it came into contact with the firing pin. There were many times I thought this has to be it only to get disappointed.

I know just how you feel so for your sake I hope you have it fixed. With the butt stock off and the hammer cocked is there any space between the coils? If you have extra space and your bolt locking block fix does not do the trick adjust the main spring plate to tighten it up to create a harder firing pin strike.

Keep us posted on your progress!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Centaur 1 wrote:I think I've got this figured out. I started thinking about why the firing pin was bound up and the possible fix for the problem. This is a classic case of how tolerances can stack up and cause an assembly of good parts to not work.
Very good write up Centaur, looking forward to your report.

The early 336 rifles, I'm thinking 50's production, and a double slot cut in the upper surface of the lower tang to allow additional "change" to hammer spring tension.
Marlin_lower_tang.jpg
I'm not sure if my 336RC is old enough to have it as I sold to older rifles, but will check it out and get a real picture up if the rifle is so equipped.[hr][/hr]I'm also going to move this to the DIY Gunsmithing Forum, it will shadow in the RG forum for three days and is listed in the RG Sticky topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Over the years I've seen a gun that normally funtions well start to misfire for various reasons:

1) switching to a lighter hammer spring can do good things for cycling but if the spring is too light misfires result
2) primers not "bottomed out" in pocket
3) primers/ammo that might have been contaminated by oil or exposed to water
4) a bad run of primers or factory ammo (very rare but happens)
5) switching to a load with CCI primers (they seem to be harder to ignite)
6) worn or damaged firing pin
7) ammo headspace problems
8) gun firing mechanism is dirty/rusty and needs a good strip down & cleaning
9) something is worn/broken/malfunctions (wear & tear) - parts don't last forever & sometimes need to be fixed/replaced
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:. With the butt stock off and the hammer cocked is there any space between the coils? If you have extra space and your bolt locking block fix does not do the trick adjust the main spring plate to tighten it up to create a harder firing pin strike.

Keep us posted on your progress!!
There is very little space left in the coils. I didn't mention it because I felt that it didn't work, but I reinstalled the spring with a 1/16" thick washer to take up that space. It made things so tight that it was difficult to cycle the action. You know that bump on the bottom of the breech bolt that gives the hammer a little extra push, to make sure it sets in the fire position. In order for that bump on the breech bolt to move past the hammer, the hammer spring adjusting plate would have to flex because there was no room left for the spring to compress. The extra spring tension made the lever ridiculously difficult to operate, with a hard spot in both directions when the bolt bump hit the hammer.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
picketpin

Post by picketpin »

So, 4 pages of awesome trouble shooting and great Ideas but it seems the OP is AWOL.....

James
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

picketpin wrote:So, 4 pages of awesome trouble shooting and great Ideas but it seems the OP is AWOL.....

James
Maybe he got busy..... As you can see we don't let grass grow under our feet around here..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

He's probably at the range pulling triggers not sitting on his fanny poking away at a key board. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Good out of the box thinking Tuco R in regards to bending the hammer spring support plate in or out to adjust hammer striking force. The use of washers might be preferable to some but now at least we have an additional option to choose from. Either will work.
If I was going to design a spring strut it would have a threaded end with a corresponding threaded hole in the support plate. Then it could be incrementally adjusted by turning a nut without adding or bending anything.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Good out of the box thinking Tuco R in regards to bending the hammer spring support plate in or out to adjust hammer striking force. The use of washers might be preferable to some but now at least we have an additional option to choose from. Either will work.
If I was going to design a spring strut it would have a threaded end with a corresponding threaded hole in the support plate. Then it could be incrementally adjusted by turning a nut without adding or bending anything.
And the pricedo "Moose Meat Maker" hammer strut is born! Awesome idea! :idea:
Michael
picketpin

Post by picketpin »

pricedo wrote:He's probably at the range pulling triggers not sitting on his fanny poking away at a key board. :mrgreen:

But only 18 out of 20 go off.... :shock:

james