Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rio 30-30 Fail to fire

Post by Archer »

Nice write up and good pics!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Wanted to post an update on my rifle. I spent Wednesday at the range and the RG was much better, but it still failed to fire several times. I went back in and removed a little more metal from the same place on the hammer, it was still making contact. No big deal, I loaded up another dozen rounds and it went bang every time. I figure it's better to go slow than it is to remove too much metal and ruin the hammer. I'm sure it's one of the parts on Rossi's do not sell list.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report! Looks like that you are wearing it down!
Michael
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks for the report! Looks like that you are wearing it down!
I do get lots of trigger time with all the free bullets that come out of that nice new mold I recently bought. +guns
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah! That's good to hear!
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I have read over this topic a few times during it development, and I keep waiting for you to hit that one thing that, once and for all, fixes the problem.....but I'm still waiting +corn

I too have had occasional misfires with both my 30-30 and 45-70. I Had trimmed the hammer spring hoping to make the action and trigger a little softer, and it did ,, but then I got the misfires. I got new marlin hammer springs to go back in them, and that's when I found out that they are a little softer than the rossi versions. I stretched the one in my 45-70 and it has worked fine ever since with no misses... but the 30-30 kept on doing it. Then the ejector broke, so I got marlin ones, and got marlin extractors while I was at it, enough for both Rio's (figure the other one will break too eventually). And I have been out with the 30-30 at least twice, maybe three times, And it just dawned on me that, IIRC, it did NOT miss a single time on those trips. Funny how you don't notice when something does WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO!!!

So now I'm wondering what the new ejector and extractor have to do with it. The marlin parts were a tight fit in the grooves of the rossi, and I filed the edges to make it all fit. But it does "seem" to hold things tighter in line maybe(?). I know that marlin extractor holds onto the 30-30 case a lot harder than the rossi one did. Maybe it's not letting the round move forward when the pin hits it? Headspace "OUGHT" to control that , but I'm just guessing here. But It's odd to me that hitting it the second time ALWAYS makes it fire.

I'll take it out with me next time I go shooting and give it a real work out.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Dang I want an RD3030 and this is making hold off on this. Keep us posted. thanks for the updates. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I hear ya Don.... I don't think we will ever see a single cause or one size fits all fix. But I do believe there is enough information on this site of what to look for to conduct your own process of elimination to pin down the specific problem(s).
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

adventurepaul

Post by adventurepaul »

Wow. Can't believe the great response. Yes I was AWOL fora bit....life gets in the way.
Anyway I was thinking of a new spring but quickly fell in the too hard basket. So I put the RG in the safe for a while while I was Cerakoting my new purchase an old Browning Trombone. Although I did put 4 hornady flex tips thru it with no probs (2 foxes and 2 rabbits).
Headed to the range today determined to get her going again as Im off on a hunting trip next week. Ended up putting two small washers either side of the hammer spring about 3/32" each. Ran a box of the original Remington coreloks thru it without a problem. Reading all the posts today I think bending the spring holding tab is the key.
BTW the trombone shot great too.
Thanks again.
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Wow! What a lot of work! Mine has done this from day 1...but when I stopped shooting the Hornaday LeverEvolution's, the problem went away. I figured it was hard primers. Now I know the truth! I can do this fix and go back to shooting them, since my RG seems to like them. Thank you!!!