The Mystery Wood

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
pauco

The Mystery Wood

Post by pauco »

Enjoying all the info on this forum almost as much as I enjoy my Rossi's. Keep hearing the wood referred to as mystery wood. Wanted to mention that I'm real confident that the wood on my Rossi's is none other than Rubberwood. Not as bad as the name sounds, It's native to Brazil and very plentiful there, where it sees a lot of use in furniture exports, but is almost never exported as raw lumber. Working properties and durability much the same as North American maple,which isn't surprising since it's considered a member of the maple family. More porous grain structure than NA maple though,and more color range. Can range from blonde to pinkish in color. I'm a 40 year plus pro woodworker,and a lumber,plywood,and veneer sales rep. I occasionally encounter Rubberwood veneers, sure looks the same to me.Note that I said I'm confident, not certain. My familiarity is mostly with NA species. There are hundreds of species in Brazil that do not grow here, so only a "Brazilian Lumber Expert" could be certain. I'm not an expert,just experienced,one never learns it all, at least I do not. Oh,and like New England maples, Rubberwood trees are tapped for their sap. Instead of maple syrup though, they produce latex.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: The Mystery Wood

Post by akuser47 »

You may be right interesting for sure. You are probably closer to the answer than we've been in a long while.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for all the info, good stuff!
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Did you say this was a veneer wood used over a core wood so we possibly could sand through it or it could peel off under certain circumsizes
pauco

Post by pauco »

NO,its not veneer, its solid through and through.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

It seems like the pattern of zebra stripes on my combination gun stock would indicate the wood was cut from the center of the wood radially outward in a 4" thick slice of tree trunk rather than a long slice of wood. Anyway the stripes are nice.ImageImage
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

It seems like the pattern of zebra stripes on my combination gun stock would indicate the wood was cut from the center of the wood radially outward in a 4" thick slice of tree trunk rather than a long slice of wood. Anyway the stripes are nice.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good wood u have there i think he is right. He has the closest definition to what wehave for rossi stocks not a vanier but the real deal. The veniers he mentioned were only reference. Keep this in mind. At least soom examples are good to the eyes.
pauco

Post by pauco »

The striping in your wood is sometimes referred to as curly,fiddleback,tiger, and a few other terms. It occurs randomly,and no one really knows why. Often seen in maple, sometimes in cherry, walnut,and other species. Often commands a premium price. Very nice stock ! One of my wizard stocks has similar striping.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Exactly the mystery goes on.