Newbie Loading Gate Question:

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Gabriel

Newbie Loading Gate Question:

Post by Gabriel »

Hi All, new member/Rossi owner here...

I have been having an issue with loading my NIB 92 rifles and am hoping someone here can help. I found some old threads on this topic but have not seen a solution yet, so hopefully no one is offended by this new thread...

First I am going to quote an old post:

- - -

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... 967#p65967

- - -

(is there some way to tag Reese-Mo ?)

-begin quote-

"Here we go (again). Lets start with loading. The gate deposits the cartridges onto the lifter (or some call it a carrier). If the cartridge rim has cleared the front of the gate, the gate will close under its own strong spring tension. If you load another cartridge through the gate any existing cartridge on the carrier is pushed slightly forward by an angled section of the gate as the gate is depressed, and that existing cartridge is started into the mag tube (past the cartridge stop). You can do that until the magazine is full. The tip of the cartridge on the lifter will protrude into the magazine tube just a little. This ensures two things. First is that its able to fully push the previously inserted cartridge past the cartridge stop, and second is so the cartridges further inside the magazine tube will actually be stopped by the cartridge stop during the feeding cycle."

-end quote-

The issue I am having is this: I can easily load the first round fully into the rifle. This round clears the front of the loading gate, and then is pushed slightly backwards onto the carrier by the magazine spring. The problem is inserting additional rounds. Attempting to depress the loading gate to load additional rounds squeezes the rim of that first round against the left side cartridge guide like a pair of tweezers. The first round will not index forward slightly to allow the loading gate to depress. This is easily seen with the bolt removed. It happens with both .357 and .38 special.

I actually bought two identical rifles. One rifle was doing this consistently, another only occasionally. I thought I would be clever, took out the loading gate of the poorly loading one and filed down the 'angled section' Reese mentions above. It looks like a fin that projects from the back side of the loading gate. I filed it down progressively more and more, but it did not solve the issue. Setting that one aside, I took the other rifle and filed down the spring section of the loading gate to make it easier to depress and all of a sudden THAT one is now squeezing the first round and not allowing the gate to depress. I'm kind of at a loss. Looking at the design of the loading gate, it's hard to see how this 'tweezer squeezing' action DOESN'T happen.

I have seen it suggested here to partially insert the rounds until the magazine is full which is a solution, but I don't like it for a few reasons. First, you'd have to pay close attention to how many rounds you've put in and if you put in too many you're fiddling around to pull one out. Second, it doesn't allow you to 'top off' a magazine before it is empty. Third, the Rossi owners manual states one is to load by fully inserting the rounds...

I don't want to return these rifles, so I am really hoping there is a easy solution to this.

Thanks guys!

Gabriel
qikracer

Re: Newbie Loading Gate Question:

Post by qikracer »

When you load the first cartridge don’t push it all the way past the loading gate, leave the case partially protruding out of the gate. Use the second cartridge to completely push the first one through and leave the second cartridge partially protruding. Repeat until full and use your fingertip to completely load your last cartridge past the gate
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks Racer...

Sure, but how does one top off a partially loaded magazine? It is also inconvenient if you lose count and get a round halfway in, no? Those halfway inserted rounds don't always come out easy... Interestingly, the Rossi manual instructs shooters to fully insert the round when loading.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You may need to deburr the the loading port.
You should be able to remove a round inserted halfway through the port without damaging it if it turns out the magazine is full up and it won't go in any further. IF it is getting hung up when you try to remove it then it is indicating that the edges of the port and/or the gate are so sharp they are digging into the brass to prevent pulling it back out.

You ARE correct in that you SHOULD be able to flick the cartridge all the way in and then push the next one in after it even with the first one all the way in the gun. It is generally just easier with a lever action to fill the mag with the bullets hanging halfway out until the last one you are using as a pusher stops hard on a full mag. I could see how your modification of the gate may have created a problem. It is typically more a matter of technique and maybe learning curve getting the gate to push the last round in the gun forward and getting the new round pushed forward past the gate and started into the mag tube than automatically easy. Anything much past deburring or chamfering the internals is something I'd approach very carefully.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Gabriel, that tab on the inside surface of the loading gate should not allow a loaded cartridge rim to be pushed past (rearward) the leading edge of the loading gate. Load a cartridge fully into the loading port (King's Port) and observed where the rear of the cartridge is positioned. If it is too far to the rear, then you'll have to replace the loading gate or have a really good TIG welder put some metal back onto that front edge of the tab (cartridge stop if you will). Hope this helps.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks Guys,

I uploaded a video on U-tube showing what I am talking about, please give it a watch when you have a moment, it's under 5 minutes long:

- - -

- - -

Thanks,

Gabriel
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

I watched the video, and was curious enough to dig out my rifle and have a look.

Mine is a 357, and with the bolt back it does the same thing -
the cartridge lays on the elevator(lifter?) and slides aft -and blocks the loading gate.

It looks to me like the lever is what keeps the cartridge from moving aft like that.

With the lever down the cartridge has nothing to stop rearward motion.

So it might not be the cartridge stop?

See how the mechanism works . . .

[email= / 1:30 WInchester Model 1892 mechanism[/email]
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Fixed the link:

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You can SEE the cartridges move back and forward about .4" or so as the lever is unlocked and lowered or lifted without raising the lifter. That's fully assembled with the bolt in place.

Pulling the lever (and bolt) out to see the rounds loading into the tube prevents the round from being held forward that fraction of an inch that allows the loading gate to open for the next round to be shoved back in.

As the lever is lowered the round pops back onto the lifter all the way, being pushed OUT of the mag tube fully by the mag follower OR the next round in the tube.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

That first video is very misleading. The lever was not installed. And it should be to fully understand how the lever also works/helps to position the cartridge in the loading gate area. There is a curved/radiused area on the right side of the lever, just forward of the friction stud. The combination of the inside tab (of the loading gate cover) and that radiused area of the lever work together to position the fully inserted cartridge. That position then allows another cartridge to be inserted when the gate is pushed inward by the next to be loaded cartridge (works in unison with the angled forward edge of that tab). If the gap between the two is too wide, the cartridge will be pushed too far rearward and rest against the cartridge stop at the rear of the lifter. Also, that radiused area is specific to the cartridge diameters of the different calibers, i.e., 38/357 vs 44/45 caliber cartridges. I hope this helps.