The Mystery Wood- Redux

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
bczrx

The Mystery Wood- Redux

Post by bczrx »

Hello All,

I didn't want to necropost, but found some info to update the knowledge of wood type in Rossi R92 rifles.

The original thread was titled 'The Mystery Wood'.

In another forum, I was told the following by a member from Brazil:
Off Topic
I dot´n find the exact translation of Brazilian wood names, so I will use the Brazilian and scientific names.

Rossi used Guajuvira wood (Patagonula americana) up to 1990´s.

The wood was changed later to Açoita-Cavalo (Luehea divaricata), "horse whipper" in a direct translation. This wood is also used on IGA-Stoeger shotguns and, in the past, to make replacement stocks for military rifles, like our Mausers, Garands, and .30 M1 carbines.

CBC/Magtech used Imbuia (Ocotea porosa) up to 1990´s.

According an retired worker of Brazilian gun industries, Brazilian hardwoods has many tone variations, and some American customers does not liked to receive a gun with a different stock color of seen on showcases. Luehea divaricata has an uniform color and almost no tone variation.
Off Topic
I found translations for Guajuvira (Brazilian Hickory) and Imbuia (Brazilian Walnut), but not for Açoita-Cavalo.
The member who posted this has previously posted documents from the 80s and 90s regarding documentation on rifles and pistols- be they Rossi or Taurus. He has mentioned access to armorers' manuals from the 1980s and other details that lead me to have a high level of confidence in his statements.

Just to add to the discussion of what type of wood was used in Rossi R92 rifles.

FWIW.
1980 Rossi 92 SRC, Rossi 951, and a few non-Rossi firearms.
GasGuzzler

Re: The Mystery Wood- Redux

Post by GasGuzzler »

And in the original topic there is one major flaw in the theory that calls into question almost all of the production number and serial number vs. date of manufacture explanation. Amedeo Rossi (and likely the other Rossi branded rifles after) were not shipped or even built in serial number order. Mine was made in 1987 (matching date codes all over the rifle) despite others having similar serial numbered rifles supposedly being built in '80-82. The source of information on the other rifles production dates is sketchy at best.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

It is very likely that there is NOT one serial run of 'Rossi 92s'.
As the manufacturer's name changed it is likely that they may have reset the serial range to something that was already stamped on a previous version of the company's output with a different name.

Likewise, different models might have the same serial numbers or might be built in serial blocks.

Armando Rossi, Rossi, Interarms Puma, CBC Braztech, Navy Arms...
LOTS of room for overlapping serials.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

As far as the wood used on Rossi R92's - what I've found that's most likely is "Tabebuia". Might also be called "Ipe", I believe. Don't recall where I read that, but it seems the comment came from someone familiar with working with that kind of wood, and he said he recognized it right away.

I redid one of my stocks, and it didn't like my 50/50 mix of BLO and turpentine, came out blotchy. But I had good success with Watco Danish Oil, Medium Walnut.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Here’s an old thread with some discussion on the topic of wood type.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... &hilit=Ipe

If somebody is interested enough to measure the density of their stock, that might support the ipe theory. Until then, I’m clinging to the belief that it’s rubber wood. Density measurement would require dunking the stock in water to measure its volume.

Knowing Rossi, there’s a strong possibility that a few different woods were used.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Knowing Rossi, there’s a strong possibility that a few different woods were used.
This seems most likely.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.