Case Head Separation

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Case Head Separation

Post by mr surveyor »

I posted the problem issue in the "Shooting Range" sub-forum … since the problem happened at the range during a really good range trip.

Case Head Separation in my 44 mag R92. Case head sitting on my desk, but the case body still in the chamber. Other than the typical "over groove size" brush, what else works? Tips?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Nashville Stage

Re: Case Head Separation

Post by Nashville Stage »

I've heard of low-temp chamber casting metal (Cerrosafe) being used to good effect for removing this exact thing.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

you can try slugging the barrel, with over sized lead bullet and a wood dowel rod.
Should tap right out, and not damage anything
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Mad Trapper wrote:you can try slugging the barrel, with over sized lead bullet and a wood dowel rod.
Should tap right out, and not damage anything
Brother, you nailed it. Since I figured I owed you a beer, and I'm pretty sure you aren't within my driving distance from Stumpwater, I had two :)

I was going to post a pic but even after I re-sized the danged thing it's still too big. Now I have to stay up another half hour to get it re-sized on my old computer and move it to this silly winders10 box. But, I ain't quittin' until this whole day's fiasco is done, including cleaning the dirty bore I left on that 44 mag.

Pic will be following

Thanks

jd

edit to add pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done. Another thing that will work is a broken screw extractor. There are two types of those, threaded and tapered (angular in shape with four sides). The latter, a large set, is the best.

What brand of brass is it and how many cycles are on it? Did a carbon ring form?
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

It was "previously owned" Remington brass I got from a friend when I first started loading for a .44 mag Ruger SRH. I have quite a bit of Rem brass from him due to his decision to use a different brand. He didn't say why the change, and at the time I was glad to have the brass to get started with. Since I've had a few years to think about it, there's no doubt in my mind that most of this brass was "rode hard and put away wet" before I got it.

As for a "carbon ring" ….. nope. It all looks good.

jd
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I have been looking a long long time for a 44 mag broken shell extractor, no luck so far.
I wonder, if a person could buy a 45 colt broken shell extractor and do some filing and fitting?
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
In an "emergency" you can chamber a dummy round into the stuck case. Sometimes the bullet will get stuck in the case wall so when you eject it will drag the offender out.
Out hunting... I would try a loaded round.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Missionary wrote:Good morning
In an "emergency" you can chamber a dummy round into the stuck case. Sometimes the bullet will get stuck in the case wall so when you eject it will drag the offender out.
Out hunting... I would try a loaded round.
From what I've heard this has become common practice with .303 Brit as the shell extractors are somewhat uncommon and running the next LIVE round into the chamber will often pull the broken shell out.

Most of us have I suspect picked up a 5.56 at the range that has been run up the open end of a broken shell.
That is one of the reasons I don't use commercial 5.56/.223 reloads.

I suspect that with a .44 it might be a bit harder to make it work because there's not a lot of taper and the case near the head is probably smaller around than the bullet.

That said if you could take a .44 Mag case and run it a 1/4 or 1/2 inch into a smaller die to neck it down that case might act more easily as an extractor. I don't know if you could fit a .44 a little way into a 10mm die or maybe a .41 Mag or 38-40 something similar to neck it down or not. If you didn't have the other die it would be a bit of a pain. I think I've got .41 Mag and I know I've got 10mm dies. I might try it some time down the road.