Can I screw in barrel to shorten headspace?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ohio357MagFan

Can I screw in barrel to shorten headspace?

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

3.jpg
I recently made a post in the handloading section called "ring around case head". I've recently been noticing rings around the case heads in my 357 R92 and one almost separated in once fired brass. I have had this rifle for almost 5 years and shot it a lot, many thousands of rounds and come to the conclusion that it does have excessive headspace and the only way to fix this is to screw the barrel in a turn or mabey more, I dunno, so it's closer to the bolt face. Here is a youtube video to show how you can squeeze the lever all the way to where it's touching the stock, I understand it shouldn't do this and if the barrel was screwed back it would fix this....

Also see attached photos of case that almost separated....

How hard is it to screw the barrel in? What do you all advise me to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Can I screw in barrel to shorten headspace?

Post by akuser47 »

If your going to then sights and mag tube and such will all need cut into the new areas after its done. As far as being sure I'd verify it. I'm not sure If you could just get some go and no go gauges to verify this. I wish I could help more. Maybe someone else can chime in to help out.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Unfortunately it isn't that simple a job. The barrel shoulder will need to be recut and then threaded, if you can get it "clocked to bring the front sight up to 12 o'clock you avoid. Once that's done the chamber will need redone and the extractor notch cut. At the going rates my guess would be that you could replace your rifle for what it would cost to have it done. You might check around your area and see if there's a good lever gun smith that could check it out for you and give you a price for the work. There may be an alternative that would run less.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Another potential fix might be to replace the barrel but once again that might be as expensive as acquiring a new gun. The barrel would probably need to be short chambered and finished reamed after installation much as Ohio mentions above. I know I've read of people with bulged barrels lucking out and obtaining a replacement but AFAIK the headspacing was ok both on the damaged rifle and on the rifle once reassembled.

IF the problem is not one of headspace but is merely one of a too generous chamber diameter swapping the barrel might fix your problem or you might find you have another generous chamber...
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Man that's just way too much work when you consider how much the rifle cost!
smithyT176

Post by smithyT176 »

what about contacting rossi and seeing what they will do?