New M92 with barrel rifling corrosion

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Scrap iron

New M92 with barrel rifling corrosion

Post by Scrap iron »

I purchased a new 454 M92, in late February, and I have only shot it two times because of weather and getting to the range. One bullet was a Hornady factory load, and the other was one I reloaded with Win. 296 powder,and Federal 205 primers, and both bullets used 300gn. jacketed bullets. I put it in my safe, and about 10 days later I noticed greenish white powdery surface on the rifling . I cleaned it with a brush and it has gone thru the blueing and you can see where it has already lightly pitted the metal. I have 17 other guns and I have never had this happen. :( Any thoughts? Thanks
Last edited by Scrap iron on 04 Apr 2014 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New M92 with barrel rifling corrosion

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds like somehow you have coorrosive primers if you are using wolf primers this could be the case. As my 7.62X54 ammo does this to my nagant if I don't clean her very good to get the corrosive salts out of the gun that come from the primer compounds I mention the wolf primers as there has been many that have found the wolf primers slightly corrosive not like surplus still not good. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Sounds to me like copper fouling that had begun to oxidize. Get after it with Hoppes & a bore brush, bet it will scrub out fine.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea i should have mentioned this first instead of worse case. Goid catch sarge.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Scrap iron wrote:I cleaned it with a brush and it has gone thru the blueing and you can see where it has already lightly pitted the metal. I have 17 other guns and I have never had this happen.
As the others have noted and in that you have shot copper, clean it with a solvent that will remove the copper. The removed residue will appear blue on the patches. The interior of the barrel is not blued, the discoloration might be the fouling itself. Most pistol powders do a good job of being fully consumed in combusted down a long barrel but there will be some unburnt powder left, in the case of Win 296, about 2%. May be this has started to dissolve and is providing the discolor and appearance of pitting. Your cleaning and report back will tell.

I'm going to move this topic to "DIY Gunsmithing". It will be here in the "92" for 72 hours but always be found by selecting "View your posts" in the header above.
Michael
Scrap iron

Post by Scrap iron »

Thanks for the response's, I gave it a good cleaning and it looks normal. It looked bad at first, and I had only shot it twice.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Generally, there is a lot of crap left in a new gun barrel. First thing I do is wet the bore with solvent and let it sit a while. Then scrub it with a brush. Using a spray solvent will clean out what is left. You will be surprised at what comes out. Then clean normally before firing.