New owner from Tampa Fl area

Tell us a bit about yourself!
donhov

New owner from Tampa Fl area

Post by donhov »

Long story happy ending. Have wanted a K92 for the last few months but could not find what I wanted. When I did find one buy the time I got the funds together it was gone. (I hate credit cards). A few weeks ago I needed to take a trip from Tampa to Michigan and back. Being a former Michigander I thought maybe, just maybe I could find something "UP THERE). Called a few shops in the Lansing Mi area to no avail. Happened to think about Schupbachs in Jackson Mi and guess what, a new k92 16" blued in 357. Just what I'd been looking for. Planed a detour through that area after asking about out of state purchase. Got to Mi Tues Pm and immediately went to the store and filled out paperwork for purchase. After 1 hour wait got the dreaded "delay". Had to leave Friday but waited till after 9am and still delay Paid off balance and asked for them to ship it to my FFL. They sent out Mon am ($20) and it arrived Wed am. Filled out NCIS again, paid $25 transfer fee and $5 NCIS fee and 1 hour later it was mine. Lots of work just for 1 inexpensive rifle. Paid a very competitive price for rifle, cheap shipping and excellent service. Also a very happy customer. Now I just need to get to the range and get some time on it. Did check the build date, 6/06/20 per Rossi customer service. Item number 923571613. Serial # 7CR027XXXN. Very good fit & finish. Cycles well, nice trigger, not custom quality but very good. Cycled some snap caps through it and no issues other than throwing them across the room. Hopefully some range time later this week. Have a little ammo for it but all 357. Trying to find some 38 spec so I can try all. Will post later results when I get the range time
Last edited by donhov on 26 Aug 2020 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: New owner from Tampa Fl area

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Welcome to the party. Lever guns hard to stop with just one.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Welcome! Always like a good story. +corn
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Ohio said it best - "Welcome to the party!" And boy is he right about getting more than just the one.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I’ve poked around a few gun shops in the Lansing area in my travels there, and never seen a one. Welcome!
donhov

Post by donhov »

Yes, I tried Total Firearms in Holt and a couple other dealers and they all made it sound like a loosing proposition but tried the one in Jackson on a whim and found it. Like I said, priced just under $600 but in today's price greedy market I felt OK with the price. Suggested retail is $699 and many were (if available which they weren't) priced around $549-579. It was worth the $30 extra just to get it and it is the newer build from CBC. Like I said I'm happy and I guess that's what counts. Just gotta get time to shoot it now.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

donhov,
I feel for you brother but overall it doesn't sound too bad. Getting a gun shipped in locally here is a choir.
The local dealer charges $60 for a transfer fee. Add $37.19 for the state DROS (Dealer Record of Sale, State fee for background.) IF the gun is from out of state CA adds use tax to anything you can't prove you paid sales tax on at the point of sale and technically anything less than CA sales tax is supposed to be paid to CA on top of any point of sale tax. THEN there's a useless 10 day cooling off period to the second before you can pick up your gun. (Note: This was found to be unconstitutional during the time Kamala Harris was AG here in CA and she was ordered to get rid of it for people who had already purchased firearms here in CA. She essentially plead incompetent with the judge saying the DoJ couldn't figure out how to do that.)

End result, I just purchased a $300 .308 AR receiver that cost me $130.63 in taxes and transfer fees.

There was a dealer who charged $25 as an out of state transfer fee but he's about 100 miles away and by the time you make the round trip twice you've spent enough time and gas that it just isn't worth it.
Heavy iron

Post by Heavy iron »

Welcome to Rossi-Rifleman. Great to have you on board.
Ackley was right all along