Greetings from Norway.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
HPFlashman

Greetings from Norway.

Post by HPFlashman »

Just stumbled onto this fine forum, researching the Rossi 92, which will be my first foray into Lever actions. Am keen to get a 357 mag to start off with.

Have shot Levers a tiny amount, but have a local CAS course and club membership I have not tooled up for.The Rossi is per today not available up here, but I have located a couple of shops in Denmark that have stock on them, so I may take a trip down there to pick up one.

Am most keen on the 16", but the 20" would probably be the better choice. A happy medium may be to bob a 20 to 18 and tread it for a can while at it... If a suppressed Lever action was good enough for Roosevelt, I guess it would be good enough for me. Also in the equation are the Kansas City Special, which Jeff Cooper wrote highly of, even if that is a 44 mag in its core.

Many and enthusiastic thoughts are pondered on the lever, by me these days, even if they may be febrile. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, glad to have found you lot and happy to have joined the ranks. :)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Greetings from Norway.

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Hallo from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! I believe Teddy Roosevelt was partial to the Winchester 1895. Me and John Wayne like the 1892. I'm also a fan of .44, although I shoot more .44 Special than Magnum. .357 Magnum is all flash and noise from a revolver, but it's a wonderful carbine round. Whatever you choose, it will be fun!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

HarryAlonzo wrote: .357 Magnum is all flash and noise from a revolver
Whoa! Wait a minute .... :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

Thank you for your welcomes, fellows. :)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

HarryAlonzo wrote:.357 Magnum is all flash and noise from a revolver, but it's a wonderful carbine round. Whatever you choose, it will be fun!
The armoury contains a 4" (soon to be 3")SW 19-4, and the initial Rossi is meant to compliment that, and take care of the rifle part in for one class of CAS, when I finally get around to actually shoot it, not just being qualified to do so. May tool up for Wild bunch, and get a .44 mag to do that. There is also the question of case availiability and price, I have several thousand 38/357 cases, and 1- one 44 mag case, if I find it... +guns
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

While I won't sneeze at a 3" or even shorter .357 Mag there is something about a 4" that makes it a very nice balance of capability and handling. I had not thought of the possibility of shortening one of my 4" 19s and I probably won't when it comes down to it. I MIGHT at some point end up getting a 3" SP101 Ruger in the caliber.

My personal preference tends to be toward the .357 in revolvers and the .44 Mag in carbines when limited to the two calibers. I probably owned .44 Mags for half a decade or more before I eventually managed to find a good .357 at a good price. I've managed to pick up 3 lever guns in .44M caliber and 3 revolvers. If I have my count right the .357 guns are 1 lever and 8 revolvers. Hard to turn a good one down when the price is particularly right and the gun is clean.

IF I could have only one of the two it might well be the .44 Mag although I'd probably want to down load for the handguns for comfort and keep the hot loads for the carbines in most cases.