Silverspruce on Pikes Peak

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Silverspruce

Silverspruce on Pikes Peak

Post by Silverspruce »

IMG_0121.JPG
Hi: New member here. I bought a like-new Rossi 92 (with the safety) in .44-40 awhile back at a local pawnshop originally made for and sold by LSI in Reno, Nevada. It's a little odd because it has a case-hardened receiver but all the other metal is blued. It may be an after-market case hardening job, but it is well done and the gun looks nice. Since new ammo is very expensive and under loaded for 73 Winchesters and revolvers, I bought Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die, and load my own for a lot less. The thing is very accurate with Starline brass, 23.0 grains of Lil Gun, a 200 grain Hornady .430 XTP bullet and Federal magnum large pistol primers. Chronographed velocity with that load (20 " barrel) is about 1800 fps, and this Rossi will put three shots in 3 inches at 100 yards with iron sights. That's .44 magnum territory and really makes the old .44-40 a horse of another color. Some of the brass is going on 5 reloadings and primer pockets are still tight, feeding and extraction good, and the brass in good shape, so the pressure must be O.K. If you need info on your Rossi, this website is the place to be. I've got a lot of good information off of it already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Silverspruce on 24 Oct 2014 21:21, edited 2 times in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Silverspruce on Pikes Peak

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, I love case hardened guns so purty. Get us a pic in the pic thread if you can.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
aragornelessar86

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Welcome! Let's see some pics of that case hardening. I'd have one in my collection if they weren't so darn hard to come by.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Welcome,
Love some of the case hardened colors.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Silverspruce! Good to see a little life put in that 44-40 cartridge!
Michael
cstone

Post by cstone »

Welcome!

I can see the peak on most days from here, a little over 70 miles away.
adepto super vestri ego
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Welcome to the forum. I'm sort of a neighbor - live in the flatlands East of you about 500 miles.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Welcome Silverspruce. My father was stationed in Ft. Carson, so that my birth place. I tell everyone around here who complains this time of year that 40 degrees is cold, that's feels pretty nice to me because I was born in Colorado in Dec. haha
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.