Finally Got to shoot it!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
seawolf

Finally Got to shoot it!

Post by seawolf »

Tuco Ramirez, Ranch Dog, rman, mr surveyor, akuser47, and everyone else who welcomed me and commented on my first posts...I finally got out in the woods with the '92.
100 yards at an 8x10 steel plate (on top of the far pallet way out there in a clump of 3 oaks, not the 30yd one to the right.....the pallet is standing and the plate is on the top right hand corner of the pallet...you can hear the bullet ring the plate)
oops...can't upload a video here....ok...see it here:

Cowboy & black powder loads dented the steel plate quite dramatically, the Buffalo Bore pierced the plates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by seawolf on 17 Sep 2014 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
aragornelessar86

Re: Finally Got to shoot it!

Post by aragornelessar86 »

O.O

Wow! What caliber?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

looks good and looks like she shoots great. nice work
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
seawolf

Post by seawolf »

aragornelessar86 wrote:O.O

Wow! What caliber?
.45 Colt. That round was a CorBon black powder load. +guns
seawolf

Post by seawolf »

akuser47 wrote:looks good and looks like she shoots great. nice work
Thank You akuser47. I do love it. It's a great rifle in every way. With the Winchester cowboy loads it was fun and accurate. Tried the .300gr Buffalo Bore heavy stuff And that was very satisfying. Instead of "bang ..then...clang" @ 100yds it was there almost instantly.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yeeeep. Hard to beat a big bore ain't it brother. COOL!!!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
seawolf

Post by seawolf »

jdb wrote:Yeeeep. Hard to beat a big bore ain't it brother. COOL!!!
That it is. I used 1866 in .38spl in SASS most of the time....but the gamin days are past. That '92 with the Buffalo Bore ammo is nearly .45-70 power and a lot faster. I love my Rossi.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Hi sea wolf,

That's a nice looking rifle. I've got the 20" in stainless and am in the process of refinishing the stock and putting on a marbles tang sight on. Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for everything I need to get here from the us. It's cheaper to buy it there, but then you have to wait. We don't get much in the way of factory 45 colt loads here. What velocity are those buffalo loads doing?
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Seawolf,

I sure can relate to your satisfaction level and accomplishment. I loved my 357 so much that I am now in the process of working up a 44. Have played with Pyrodex loads in 38sp and 357 and was surprised at velocity and muzzle energy levels and yes they are fun to shot.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
seawolf

Post by seawolf »

Coop 45 wrote:Hi sea wolf,

That's a nice looking rifle. I've got the 20" in stainless and am in the process of refinishing the stock and putting on a marbles tang sight on. Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for everything I need to get here from the us. It's cheaper to buy it there, but then you have to wait. We don't get much in the way of factory 45 colt loads here. What velocity are those buffalo loads doing?

The Buffalo Bore is some fantastic magnum level off the shelf stuff. They have standard, +P and heavy loads. from light anti personnel loads up to 325gr heavies.
The heavy comes with the caution to NOT USE in Colt, S&W or new model Vaqueros....only Super Blackhawks, Old Vaqueros or TC Contender. The Rossi '92 is listed as A-OK for the heavy.
The BB ballistics chart for the 300gr JFN shows (16" rifle barrel) 1700fps and 1925ftlbs of energy.
I have no reason to doubt that as the difference between the BB and standard Winchester and Remington loads was obvious.
Both the standards put very healthy impressions on the 1/4" steel plate at 100yds. The BB tore through it like a heavy 45-70.
Next time out I'll take real vid cams instead of the still cam with vid capability and have my lovely cinematographer document the differences. +guns