my corona-crazy buying spree!

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
alphalimafoxtrot

my corona-crazy buying spree!

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey everyone - well, I'm just here to yap about the "free shipping" Midway buying spree I just triggered today. Sorry to be so goofy about it, especially since it is barely 60 dollars worth of "buying power" yet it was fun while it was happening! :mrgreen:

I decided "why not" and got another cheap 50-caliber ammo can and a couple different boxes of 357 Magnum to shoot so I could add the brass to my reloading stash. Got tons of 38 but not nearly as much 357 brass to reload, so every once in a while I buy a little more.

Hope that everyone is healthy and safe! Be well, and thanks for your time.

Adam Lee
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.25.20 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: my corona-crazy buying spree!

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Good on ya! No words I love to hear more than “Free Shipping.” I jumped on their last one for some 410 slugs and bunny loads.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Took part of my stimulus check, bought lumber and nails, built a second chicken coop, then bought a little more lumber and nails, and built an out-house, a very nice out house.
May head over to midway and look around.
Had my LGS put me on the list for a marlin 1895CB 26" 45-70, that was back on may, 1st.
He said it will be 4 to 6 weeks before any are available.
He quoted me a price of $767.00
Wish i could find a JM model.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Mad Trapper wrote:Had my LGS put me on the list for a marlin 1895CB 26" 45-70, that was back on may, 1st.
I think Remington may have figured out how to build them finally.
I've got a friend who just got another Remlin. He did say he was putting a happy lever kit on it.
I want one of the 1895CB like that but I've got the 1886 Winchester and it is hard to beat IMO.
HarryAlonzo wrote:Good on ya! No words I love to hear more than “Free Shipping.” I jumped on their last one for some 410 slugs and bunny loads.
Free shipping and XX% off are the way I like to hear it.
I just ordered some OFB a week ago that seemed reasonable. I usually buy my brass by buying new ammo but this turned out a bit too tempting. Ran me ~25% of what new would have cost me from Midway although it IS mixed headstamp IS going to have to be cleaned and culled. At the time Midway was mostly out of stock and was charging shipping. 1000 each nickel 9mm and .45 ACP, 500 each nickel .357 Mag and .38 SP. 500 brass .380 ACP. Destined for HP loads that I don't plan to shoot that much of. Should be here next week if the riots don't divert it.

Beretta a few years ago put on a 35% off sale if you bought over a couple hundred or so. I got some Px4 mags at the bulk discount plus the 35% off with a holster and some parts that were already on discount. About the best deal I've seen online in a decade or more. Unfortunately somebody had already snapped up all the 92 mags or I didn't realize I could have used a few more. Lucky for me I got a few later that I could ship in for freedom week.

Midway's been out of most anything I wanted recently.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I dont think you can top the 1886 lever, it is #1 for sure.
If I get a hold of the 95CB, will do the wild west trigger kit and change out the mag follower for one from bear tooth.
May do the safety delete, either the saddle ring or just the plug.
https://beartoothmercantile.com/basic-s ... lin-rifle/
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I picked up a 1895 right after the first of the year and with that limited experience I'll say Archer is right, Remington has learned to not only build them right but to do QC before they go out the door.

So far all I've done is clean it, put a Skinner Express sight on it and shoot it. I'll eventually change the follower.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you for that info O3W.
That makes me feel a lot better about getting one.
I asked the LGS owner, if he can help me go over the rifle before I complete the purchase, he said no problem, and send it back if there are QC issues.
They have two gunsmiths on site, may have one of them give it the once over, check the bore,etc.
would be willing to pay extra if they wanted.
I have a lot of spare parts for JM marlins, hope they work in the new models.

Looking at this tang sight,
https://montanavintagearms.com/product/ ... ong-range/
They list 2 different sights, one for the 95 marlin, then one for the new 95 marlin.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got one of the SS 1895 Marlin Guide guns that was made a couple years ago.
A couple friends have 336 Marlins and one of them also has one of the 1894s in .357 Mag.

All four of the guns are post Remington takeover production. All four AFTER Remington seemed to finally start getting their act together. I examined several Marlins during the two or four years right after the takeover and found several problems with the way they were put together. When they started putting out 1894s again in .357 there were some reports of initial guns showing some issues, that seems to have been dealt with.

IMO using the Rossi pre purchase inspection check list that's been posted on this site, modified to fit the gun in question, is a good idea before filling out the paperwork on any lever gun.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=708&p=23442&hilit=p ... eck#p23442

You always want to look the gun over IMO, there's not a manufacturer out there that is always perfect.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you Archer for the info.
I have in the past used the rossi checklist.
I would walk into buds gun shop, take out my bore light,snap caps, start at the muzzle and work my way down to the butt plate.
The buds counter people said i was the only one that would do this when buying a firearm.
They said usually the buyers dont even open the box to have a look see.
When they get in mosin nagants, they just set the crates out in the showroom, and pop the lid.
They bring me a folding chair, I put on the nitrile gloves, and get out the rags, may go through half the crate before i find what i want.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Just make sure you're in love forever as regardless of improvements, it took too long so the resale is nil. Let me elaborate further by saying I won't buy a Marlin if made after the mid-90's because it's not the JM stamp that matters to me (although it matters hugely to "value"). My newest Marlin (I think I have four) is 1988 and only because it's in the three years Marlin made the original long barrel and tube 60 with a BHO...and I gave nothing for a pristine example. I have a 1983 model 783 tube fed bolt .22WMR and two levers from 1951 (336RC and 39A).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.