Air guns

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
singleshotcajun

Re: Air guns

Post by singleshotcajun »

I use a length of weed eater cord as a pull through to clean .177 air rifles. Knot tied on one end and a .22 patch pierced and pulled to the knot.Use a .22 bore snake on .22 rifles. Air gun bores do not need nor should they be cleaned as often as powder burners. I clean new barrels with a patch soaked in Kroil then pull a few clean ones through.. It is important to remember that with piston type air rifles you do not want to get petroleum based lubes in the air chamber bad things can happen when it diesels . Short of a complete tear down lube and tune you can install a few drops of pure silicone oil into the air transfer port to lube the piston seal.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got a can of Kroil and I'd swear it is kerosene maybe a bit more clean.
According to another site:

"OK, what the heck is Kroil?
According to the MSDS for Kroil:
1.) Crude oil (Petroleum Base Oil )
2.) Naptha
3.) Mineral Spirits (Aliphatic Petroleum Distillate)"

Of course a couple guys on the same discussion tried to claim 'it was a penetrating oil like WD40 and not a lubricant'. I put WD-40 in the MDL category not the penetration category unless you are talking about the solvent/carrier in it and I trust the guy quoting the MSDS a lot more than random opinion.
Last edited by Archer on 20 Nov 2014 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Whatever it is it is magic.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah it's pretty good.

Couple guys indicate the RWS lube may detonate or diesel in spite of supposedly being silicon and Ballistol may be the right way to go.

I'm planning on running the factory stuff initially at least.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

WRT the trigger job in addition to the slide show I linked earlier, here's an article on Pyramyd Air regarding the rifle and trigger job:
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/11/ ... ex-part-1/ General overview
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/11/ ... ex-part-2/
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/12/ ... ex-part-3/ Accuracy testing
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/12/ ... ex-part-4/
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/01/ ... ob-part-5/ Trigger Job

In five parts / pages I posted all the links because they aren't sequential on the site and they span multiple months in the archive.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I saw an article a bout a high power 35 cal air rifle with special hornady 140 grain hollow points for hunting deer and other game animals. That is really interesting. Could start a new trend. I think the air pressure was up around 3500 psi.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Zippidydoodah wrote:I saw an article a bout a high power 35 cal air rifle with special hornady 140 grain hollow points for hunting deer and other game animals. That is really interesting. Could start a new trend. I think the air pressure was up around 3500 psi.
So ....... do you backpack a scuba tank? :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Wow, informative links Archer.... particularly the second one. I've read a bit of history on the Girandoni rifle over the years and thought it was pretty darned amazing stuff - particularly for the time period. That second Beeman link you posted is gonna take me a rainy weekend to read and absorb, but it will happen. Thanks for the link.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Back in ancient days when I was a kid in elementary school there was a book on the shelves in the school library with a title along the lines of 'Weapons of War' that went from war clubs to nuclear missiles. That book had pictures of another airgun from around the same time frame as the Girandoni or so that had an air flask under the barrel that was spherical. I was looking for that version but there's more info on the Girandoni out there. I'd read a few articles before but that last link was more detailed than I've ever seen before.