DonHuff

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: DonHuff

Post by donhuff »

Jaybm wrote:Sounds like a more time consuming and costly hobby than playing with the Rossi's !

Looks like you're making progress.

Keep us posted ( where have I heard that before ) ...

Well, you can spend as much time AND money as you want, on any hobby, no matter what it is.

yeah, I'm making some progress. The gray one in the pic, is my plug for the new mold. I sanded it after the pic. And re-primed a few spots. So now I have to wait till tomorrow to see if I need to prime any more. Soon as I get it ready, then I'll make the mold and get to work in earnest. Gotta hake bottoms for all those tops!

yeah, I've heard that before too!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

jdb wrote:THOSE are cool, Don. And can't blame ya. It use to be RC airplanes for me. It's addictive and fun. And those look like you are getting it down pretty good to me.

Speaking of, I'm surprised you haven't stuffed a turbine for one of the jets in one and gone all Ms Budweiser on um. ;~)

Oh, and 100 miles an hour on water in a scale boat. WOW!!!

That is impressive. People don't think about it, but it doesn't matter how big the boat or airplane is, physics work the same for all of them. Air and Water molecules are the same size for a 50 footer as they are for a 5 footer. Gettin' a small scale boat to go 100mph is a LOT harder than getting a full size version to go 100.

Same thing with airplanes. A water molecule is a water molecule to the engineering of a full size boat. It's the size of a golf ball, comparatively speaking to a scaled down boat. You fellas are gettin' er done!
I use to fly rc airplanes a lot. was obsessed with them for a long time. I started out with controline when I was 12, and got back into it for a little in 98-99. Even went to Muncie Indiana to fly in the AMA nationals, Precision aerobatics. I'm getting really close to getting back into it again. I have bought up a few engines and have been looking at kits, trying to decide what to start with. I want to go back to Muncie to try for the intermediate or advanced class, I flew beginner the first time.

Turbines aren't legal in our classes, and we don't do play boats. Boats are kinda boring (compared to airplanes) unless you're racing. I did stick a pluse jet on one once, just for show.

Absolutely right about the size of molecules! If you were to scale it up, he would be doing 5-600 mph.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad you are doing well Don and thank you for the update.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

so .... the scale model doing 100 mph is equal to 500-600 mph in full size?

when I was 14-15, I was pretty much a scale model of what I've become in my more "studly years" (choke, choke), and I was able to survive 70+ mph (fortunately without a crash) on water skis ..... scaled up would put me going about the same speed as a Cessna 152 at cruising speed, give or take a few cubits per day. So then, my last bass boat that topped out at around 50 mph was scaled down, that would make the model topping out at around 10 mph? Even that scaled down model would have run moving circles around my favorite old 2 man plastic boat with 1-1/2 horse gas motor that pumped along at about 3 mph (calm water and wind).

I'm too old to swim Don .... take me back to the dock :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jdb

Post by jdb »

donhuff wrote:I use to fly rc airplanes a lot. was obsessed with them for a long time. I started out with controline when I was 12, and got back into it for a little in 98-99. Even went to Muncie Indiana to fly in the AMA nationals, Precision aerobatics. I'm getting really close to getting back into it again. I have bought up a few engines and have been looking at kits, trying to decide what to start with. I want to go back to Muncie to try for the intermediate or advanced class, I flew beginner the first time.

Turbines aren't legal in our classes, and we don't do play boats. Boats are kinda boring (compared to airplanes) unless you're racing. I did stick a pluse jet on one once, just for show.

Absolutely right about the size of molecules! If you were to scale it up, he would be doing 5-600 mph.
Cool, similar story here Don. I started with string liners when I was 10, but didn't get into RC for another 12-15 years, not until the mid 1970's. We were mostly just hobbyist, but one of the guys in our group would go up and fly in the competitions. Of course, he was the guy who always had several extra cc's of motor hanging out both sides of the cowling on every plane he built and a 200+ mph Mustang. ;~)

And YES JD, that's like 800 mph in the full size. LOL

Unfortunately, his Mustang didn't last that long. 3 months after he finished it, It ended up a crater in a field when he had a servo failure while showing off one afternoon. ;~0

Ever see a Gunnery Sargent cry like a baby? LOL

By the way, he also built the first turbine engine plane I ever saw. It was a F-4 Phantom back in the late 70s and MAN that thing drew a crowd. Not to mention sending small children and dogs running when it sparked off. ;~)
mr surveyor wrote:...I'm too old to swim Don .... take me back to the dock :lol:
LOL...that's a fact jack!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Don,
As I'm sure you are aware release/PVA and draft are your friends.

I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
I work with a few though and MIGHT be able to pump them for knowledge.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Archer,

That was one of my problems when I tried the first few parts. The fellow that gave me the molds did not use PVA and used epoxy for his resin. I now have PVA and love the stuff, other than it giving the surface of the new part a little texture. But they are easy to buff out.

I understand about the draft too. but these parts are pretty thin (2 layers of 3/4oz mat) so they can give/bend quite a bit to aid removal.

Laid the tooling gelcoat and first layer of mat on the hull mold last night. Gotta get back out there and put on another layer or three, so I can pull it off (fingers crossed!) and see if I have a usable mold.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70