DonHuff

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

DonHuff

Post by mr surveyor »

What's happened to you, Bro?

I've been missing your smiling face and your knowledge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: DonHuff

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Been wondering the same thing. D went to Charllote over the summer and he has been mia ever since.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea he has been mia. Curious I haven't heard anything. Time will tell.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Anybody send him a PM or email? Funny, I was thinking about him yesterday.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am going to as kinda worried maybe somthing personal.
Or just busy.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

All is well don has been busy with his rockets and rc boats I think he is surprised at us worrying about him. He stated he will try to do something worthy of a post soon. Gotta love that. I'm glad he is fine. So no worries guys.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

well.... somebody has to keep an eye on the old coot :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

"old coot" I'll remember that JD.

Like I told JD in a private message, I've been busy lately. And it has nothing to do with guns, dernit.

I'm into remote control boat racing with a couple of my sons. We started doing this back in the mid 80s, and have always had good "luck?" with it. We use to use nitro (model airplane type) engines, but now are exclusively using gasoline powdered engines. Basically a converted weed eater engine, purposely built for our use by Kamotsu Zenoah. 26 to 30cc. We now have stroker crankshafts and big bore pistons, and all sorts of hop up parts.

I have always loved 2 stroke engines, and modifying them, to get more power out of the little beast. My son has recently gotten an electric powder hydro, mostly to help that class out with another entry, since we require at least 3 entries to form a class. This class often does not make it as it is difficult to drive, and most avoid it. I am constantly amazed at how much power the electrics, are getting now days. Use to, they were a joke. We have one club member that is all about the elec stuff, and he has an "open mono" that he competes with the gas and nitro boats with in the top v-hull class. Us gas guys are allowed to have up to 35cc, and the nitro guys can run two 1.01 engines with 6.9 HP @ 25,000RPM :shock: If we aren't careful, that damed electric will get by us and win!

So this electric buddy is trying to be the first v-hull in the world to break 100 mph. That is no easy feat, as hydros have been doing that for only a few years. He has made several one way passes @ 97mph, but we could never get a required return pass, to back it up. He does own the official record at 92mph............but that aint 100!!!

At the September record run in Huntsville Al. He "stuffed" the boat late on Sunday, while doing 95+. It hit the water with such force, that it actually broke in half, throwing batteries and parts all over the water. And this is where my time has gone. The fellow who makes the hull, has developed carpal tunnel, and could not make another hull. Then somehow, I got volentiered to help. So after three trips to Atlanta to help, and then painting the thing. I some how left his house with a set of hull molds. Not for that boat, but a smaller class electric boat(?). I have always wanted to try making hulls, and this was a good opprotunity to learn.

So I got a few supplies that me and my son had already, from having to repair holes and damage on our old hulls. And I laid up a few parts. It seemed to be pretty easy until I stuck one in the hull mold :roll: and ruined the mold. Luckly I got 2 hulls made that were in good enough shape, that I could patch them up and turn them into plugs, to make a new mold from. I tell you what. Trying to learn how to do this by watching you tube, and reading articles on the internet, has been a real head scratch-er. I can't really go back to the fellow I got the molds from to learn, as nobody,including me, likes the way he does it. It is so easy to screw something up, and you don't know it until you spend all the time and materials, and then pop it out of the mold and turn it over.

I think I finally have the lay up procedure down pretty good. And I have been making hull tops, so that when I finally get the buttom mold ready, I'll have enough tops so that I can concentrate on bottoms and get some complete boats turned out. I hope they sell as I have bought up over $1200 worth of supplies, but have mostly been throwing bad parts in the trash :lol: I do have one sold already, if I can ever get a complete one made!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Sounds like a more time consuming and costly hobby than playing with the Rossi's !

Looks like you're making progress.

Keep us posted ( where have I heard that before ) ...
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
jdb

Post by jdb »

THOSE are cool, Don. And can't blame ya. It use to be RC airplanes for me. It's addictive and fun. And those look like you are getting it down pretty good to me.

Speaking of, I'm surprised you haven't stuffed a turbine for one of the jets in one and gone all Ms Budweiser on um. ;~)

Oh, and 100 miles an hour on water in a scale boat. WOW!!!

That is impressive. People don't think about it, but it doesn't matter how big the boat or airplane is, physics work the same for all of them. Air and Water molecules are the same size for a 50 footer as they are for a 5 footer. Gettin' a small scale boat to go 100mph is a LOT harder than getting a full size version to go 100.

Same thing with airplanes. A water molecule is a water molecule to the engineering of a full size boat. It's the size of a golf ball, comparatively speaking to a scaled down boat. You fellas are gettin' er done!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson