So what kind of knives you all play and work with?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: So what kind of knives you all play and work with?

Post by akuser47 »

ulu knives are cool I tried fleshing with one years ago but is was tuff compared to the necker 600 I am use to now from my buddies trappings and hunts. I am no expert just a hill billy without the hills. :lol: I need to trim the machette sheath and profile it so it looks better befoore I paint it. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

there's obviously an art to using the Ulu as it's been around for a few thousand years. I've been using it for kitchen duty, cutting fajita and jerky strips, fine chopping stuff like garlic, cilantro, rosemary, and chopping onion and celery. I've seen a few videos on them used for skinning large game, but that must take some manual dexterity. Cool blades though :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Ulu is one of the most useful blades there is, but you need a real ulu. Most are tourist trinkets.

A real ulu is sharpened on one side (the original ulus were made from a round stone broken in half, before they became more sophisticated). Nothing is better for cutting fish - they are fast and you don't leave a bunch of meat on the carcass when you filet. To filet a salmon as cleanly with a filet knife is harder and takes me way more time.

This is what I am using for a hunting knife now:

http://762precision.wordpress.com/produ ... ing-knife/
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice i have not seen a denny blade before. What pistol n caliber n model is that looks like a conversion cylinder?
Conman

Post by Conman »

Just a small bowie type blade made in Pakistan. Measures 16 1/2" long in leather scabbard. I just can't resist large, inexpensive, knives!!

remus

Post by remus »

I'm new here and am finding out that those that are here like pretty much the same things that I do. Guns, motorcycles, fishing stuff, camping stuff, and other attendant outdoor things.
I have a bunch of knives. All kinds, I just buy them when they strike my fancy. The ulu was mentioned here and I'd seen one being used on a tv program about Alaska. Thought it was neat but didn't do anything about it. Saw the posts here and went ahead and bought two of them from a maker up in Alaska. One for me and one for my hunting buddy that got drawn for elk here in Az. If he scores an elk we'll see how the ulu works for us. It will be different from the normal swiss army knives we usually use. Should be interesting. Looking forward to it and if I can remember I'll let the board know how we did. No promises because the hunt starts the day after Thanksgiving.. We'll see.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

There use to be videos on YouTube for a ulu how to. It takes practice. It is amazing to see a well trained person use one so fast. Maybe you guys can practice with coons or somtthing first please keep us posted to your ulu adventures.