Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round...

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
Tazman1602

Re: Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round..

Post by Tazman1602 »

I neither Pricedo.............didn't mean any disrespect and I don't do the cowboy thing or crowds either. Just like nice rifles that shoot well..............I ain't no spring chicken either man..........

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tazman1602 wrote:I neither Pricedo.............didn't mean any disrespect and I don't do the cowboy thing or crowds either. Just like nice rifles that shoot well..............I ain't no spring chicken either man..........

Art
Like the "hazing" rituals at university some senior gun club members and long time shooting discipline participants have taken the fact that someone is new to the gun club or shooting sports as a license to disrespect that person.
That retrograde mentality belongs in the past & shooters need to realize that systemic hassling of new members/participants is one of the chief reasons quoted by potential shooters/gun owners for becoming disengaged from the sport after first trying it out.
The survival of 2A as an individual right will depend a great deal on how many new participants in the shooting sports we can attract in the future.
It is far easier for government to take rights from a few people than a great many people............the age old it's easier to break 1 stick than a bundle of sticks analogy.
WE, not the NRA or legislators, are the stewards of 2A and as such we have the duty and responsibility to encourage "new" people to become gun owners and shooters.
Treating new shooters like dirt when they join gun clubs or a discipline like IPSC, PPC or Cowboy Action Shooting is an action against the interest of preserving & promoting the right to keep & bear arms for all of us and that archaic behavior needs to stop.
Our activism in regards to attracting new shooters to the sport and our behavior toward these new potential new participants will largely determine the number of shooters in a future America and directly determine whether the integrity of 2A is preserved or destroyed.
Will 2A still exist in its present state in a future United States of America?
It all boils down to numbers......the number of Americans who own guns & shoot & VOTE.
Please do what you can to encourage people to become shooters and gun owners and treat them with dignity and respect when they are on the learning curve as we all were at one time.
The survival of OUR right to keep & bear arms depends on it.

+of - a little off topic but it needed to be said.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

pricedo wrote: Like the "hazing" rituals at university some senior gun club members and long time shooting discipline participants have taken the fact that someone is new to the gun club or shooting sports as a license to disrespect that person.
That retrograde mentality belongs in the past & shooters need to realize that systemic hassling of new members/participants is one of the chief reasons quoted by potential shooters/gun owners for becoming disengaged from the sport after first trying it out.
The survival of 2A as an individual right will depend a great deal on how many new participants in the shooting sports we can attract in the future.
It is far easier for government to take rights from a few people than a great many people............the age old it's easier to break 1 stick than a bundle of sticks analogy.
WE, not the NRA or legislators, are the stewards of 2A and as such we have the duty and responsibility to encourage "new" people to become gun owners and shooters.
Treating new shooters like dirt when they join gun clubs or a discipline like IPSC, PPC or Cowboy Action Shooting is an action against the interest of preserving & promoting the right to keep & bear arms for all of us and that archaic behavior needs to stop.
Our activism in regards to attracting new shooters to the sport and our behavior toward these new potential new participants will largely determine the number of shooters in a future America and directly determine whether the integrity of 2A is preserved or destroyed.
It all boils down to numbers......the number of Americans who own guns & shoot & VOTE.
Please do what you can to encourage people to become shooters and gun owners and treat them with dignity and respect when they are on the learning curve as we all were at one time.

NOT IN MY BOOK! I agree with that 100%! I no longer go to our local gun range to shoot, I am a member but a non-voting, non-participating member for EXACTLY that reason.

My wife, who shoots close to 2k rounds a year out of her .38's -- she loves those things and has five of them now, just took her CPL class at the local range. When it came time to shoot, she was outshooting most of the guys. IMMEDIATELY the little moron called a "Range Master" with all the NRA patches on his arm comes up to her and starts to tell he what she's doing wrong. It didn't take but about 30 seconds before I stepped between them and stopped her from drilling him with a right hook. I told him "WHAT is your problem? She is outshooting most of the guys 10-1 and you are telling her what she is doing WRONG????" I got a disgusted look back and the statement that "there's always room for improvement".

I can't stand that garbage either Price...............to the OP did you ever get your rifle to feed properly?

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Reminds me of my brief foray into CAS years ago. The ones who couldn't shoot accurately or fast would go into denigrating everyone else's costume. I wasn't winning either and was just there for the fun of it. But those costume nazis sure took that fun out it quickly and I moved on to other things.

Willy
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Tazman1602 wrote:I neither Pricedo.............didn't mean any disrespect and I don't do the cowboy thing or crowds either. Just like nice rifles that shoot well..............I ain't no spring chicken either man..........

Art
Like the "hazing" rituals at university some senior gun club members and long time shooting discipline participants have taken the fact that someone is new to the gun club or shooting sports as a license to disrespect that person.

Great stuff on participation pricedo.. I would go one step further off topic to say to everyone who enjoys what gun rights they still have now, to PLEASE pick up after yourself wherever you shoot. Nothing worse than seeing peoples garbage shot up, old 25" TV's sitting out in shards of glass and plastic and abandoned. It gives us all a BAD NAME and I keep seeing far too much of it.
+of +of +of
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The original Winchester 92 was designed for bottleneck cartridges .....44-40.....38-40....25-20....218 Bee.
The 44-40 IS a bottleneck with a shallow taper.
A well tuned 92 functions amazingly well with straight cartridges like the 357 Mag......44 Mag......45 LC/454 Casull.
My 3 x 92s will even digest the dreaded SWCs that give some 92s the hiccups.
Rossi 92s aren't for the mechanically shy & bashful.
You gotta pull em apart right off the bat & see if there's any problems & if there is you gotta get your little pinkies dirty and fix em.
My guns run like the proverbial Swiss watch but I have dirty finger nails....... the earmark of the Rossi Rifleman.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
RayMich

Post by RayMich »

Tazman1602 wrote:....to the OP did you ever get your rifle to feed properly?

Art
In answer to your question, NO.

Neither could the gunsmith at my FFL nor the gunsmith at Davidson's. Davidson's said the gun was too FUBAR to try to fix it. They offered a replacement or my money back. Last Friday I informed my FFL that I want my money back.

Those who are OK with buying a new gun that doesn't work right out of the box are encouraging manufacturers to continue to make crap. -- I suppose they are the type who would be OK buying a new electric drill at Sears and when they first go to use it and it doesn't work, they simply take it home to their shop and tear it down to troubleshoot it and try to fix it. -- Well, not me. I don't have a problem on working on a gun or any tool for that matter, to improve it and make it run more to my liking, but if it does NOT work at all right out of the box, it goes back, plain and simple. I expect anything that I buy to work as advertised when new.

Reading the comments here have convinced me that getting a good Rossi rifle is the luck of the draw. Which, in my opinion does not reflect well on the quality of Rossi guns or Taurus for that matter. A few years ago, my wife bought a Taurus pistol. That pistol was absolute junk. Not even her instructor or the range master could get it to run through a full magazine without jamming. And NO she was not limp-wristing the gun. Changing magazines did not help at all. She has shot handguns for years and has never had any problem with any other gun. She ended up trading the Taurus pistol for a Colt revolver within two weeks of having bought it. The Colt revolver has run like a Swiss watch ever since. She now shoots and carries a SIG P250 compact and loves it.

This Rossi by Taurus is our second attempt at owning Taurus firearms. That is TWO tries and TWO bad ones. With this kind of experience, I believe that it is highly unlikely that we will be buying anything made by Taurus / Rossi in the foreseeable future.

I have been shooting guns of every type ever since I was 8 years old and have owned many guns during all those years and I have never owned a gun that wouldn't work right out of the box.

Giving Rossi a pass for making guns that don't work simply because they may be lower priced is doing a great disservice to gun owners everywhere. You are basically telling gun manufacturers that only expensive guns should be expected to work when new out of the box. If you are OK with buying brand new guns that don't work, be my guest. But don't get upset when eventually you won't be able to buy a decent gun for a reasonable price.

I again want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Stay safe.
- Ray -

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."[/b:
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

RayMich wrote:
Giving Rossi a pass for making guns that don't work simply because they may be lower priced is doing a great disservice to gun owners everywhere. You are basically telling gun manufacturers that only expensive guns should be expected to work when new out of the box. If you are OK with buying brand new guns that don't work, be my guest. But don't get upset when eventually you won't be able to buy a decent gun for a reasonable price.

I couldn't agree more......glad you got your money back
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Then there are those of us who have never had a Rossi built gun to not work as expected. I'm two for two with both of them having been special orders and not the "pick of the litter".
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:Then there are those of us who have never had a Rossi built gun to not work as expected. I'm two for two with both of them having been special orders and not the "pick of the litter".
Congrats on the lucky streak.
Next step..........buy some lottery tickets.
I can't speak in the plural sense for anyone else but MY experience had been:
I've acquired about 3 dozen Rossis during the Amadeo years and 1 post Taurus takeover Braztech Rio Grande which was filthy dirty with cosmoline & metal grindings but cleaned up well.
I've had to refit/repair about a dozen of them and the rest were just very dirty &/or stiff to cycle.
If "barely functional" is the pass mark then Amadeo Rossis track record is 2/3.
Everybody has their own idea what a smooth running rifle is.....a hog hunter has one idea and a Cowboy Action competitor probably has quite another.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA