Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rethinking my 357 Mag as a hog rifle?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Wow. I had no idea they would be that accurate. Care to share you load data on that and any tips on the loading?
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Wow. I had no idea they would be that accurate. Care to share you load data on that and any tips on the loading?
Just click the links.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I know I'm going to regret asking this but what links??? :oops:
Deleted User 2964

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

Page 5 round ball shooter
Psegnatelli

Post by Psegnatelli »

I like that roundball load!!

I don't have hogs here but man do we have coons! Skunks and possums too.

Lost about 20 chickens to them last winter.
I was using CCI quiets in 22 lr as my coop defense round. This year I have a suppressor and a brick of 42 gr win subsonics lhp.

Last few years I had more than one incident of a stuck casing, a wounded coon with me inside a 10x6 chicken coop. I wished I had a bayonet. But no. Usually wearing just underwear and crocs shoes because all the fun happens at night.

I will say if the shot placement was spot on I had no issues, but I had little room for error

That roundball load may fix that!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had fully intended to present you guys with a stack of raccoons this morning but I had hit the work pretty hard Sunday and slept the whole night through. My dog is supposed to wake me up but she had been out with me all day and slept harder than I. This morning, there was all kinds of sign that they had had quite a pecan party. I left on a vacation today, so the masked bandits have won.

Now, I must confess that the round ball loads are not for everyone. First and foremost is the cartridge OAL length is extremely critical and very specific as to what will load and when the ball falls out. The ball must be seated at the mid point to allow the cartridge to feed and it needs a heavy crimp to keep it in place. I've been sending them through a .359 so they have a band on them and this is what I crimp into. I was thinking about this last night and I need to try running them through a .357" & .358" sizer and see if anyone is better than the other as far as feed and accuracy goes. I also have a 100 & 125-grain RF, plain base bullet for the 380 Autos. Need to load them with Trail Boss for a 1000 FPS and see how they do as well.
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

SixGun Sounds wrote:Page 5 round ball shooter
Found it!!! Thanks!!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well... on the first night back home I gave up on the round ball. We came home from our road trip and my giant pecan was full of raccoons! I shot the first one out of the top with my PT111 Pro 9mm Luger but then they all laid flat on the big limbs. The scoped 92 is just not practical for this shooting. I did punch a couple of holes in some big coons and the round ball didn't phase them, just %@*&$ them off but good. Weird how it has dropped them 25 yards out. It is not knocking them out of the tree. Ended up switching to my Tuffy and this .410 pounds them and drops them hard. The firearm is awful, the stock that is, but it knocks these huge coons right off the limb with its tight pattern.

It is too short to shoot like a shotgun and when you shoot it like a handgun, it knocks all the shells stored in the buttstock out on the ground. I've had it happen before last night and again tonight.

Tonight as soon as I got in bed it sounded like hail dropping on the roof as the raccoons were dropping the pecans. My dog and I went out and I dropped five with the Tuffy in less than a minute. Today I found a new youth shotgun buttstock on ebay so I bought it. That will cure what ails this arm but keep it tight for this type of duty.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice, coons are such pests in rural areas for sure, and in or on your properties. I used to get paid to remove them when I was younger now its against the law unless licensed by the state. At least this is what i was told when a neighber called the cops on me lol. Funny thing is that coon I was forced to release is now nesting under her house and is her problem now. I blocked its reentry in my good neighbor house so it needed a new home. Why not go to the animal lover and it did lol. Now shes asking me to help her trap it as shes inexperienced in such things I told her thanks to her being a pain she'd have to find a licensed exterminator to remove it. I love karma
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had another battle at 4:00 this morning. They are wearing me out.
Michael