Pig hunt

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Pig hunt

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks RD and pacificpt. I'm already planning and making goals for next season. I'd like to extend my revolver range out to 40 yards and my Rossi range to 70 yards.

Action plans:
Shoot more, of course.

Once a week yoga. Yoga strengthens core muscles and improves balance. I think it will improve my steadiness while shooting.

Keep experimenting with different bullets and loads. Learn to cast my own bullets.

Put the finishing touches on my backyard/50 yard shooting range. Build a 100 + yard shooting range on the back of the farm.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Moon Tree wrote:Thanks guy for all the nice comments. This hog is definitively a trophy for me. Not, only because this is the first big game I've taken with a handgun, but because of the road that led me to it.

My Journey:
I bought the Blackhawk in Oct, 2013 because I could not shoot my S&W .44 mag any more. I pinched nerve from my back down to my trigger finger sends a sharp stabbing pain from my hand to mid shoulder blade every time I discharged the .44.

Shooting the .357 for the first time at 15 yards told me I had a lot of work to do to become accurate enough to hunt with this weapon. The pinched nerve caused numbness in my trigger finger. I realized that I could not preform the trigger pulling act smoothly. My finger would jump instead of doing the slow, smooth motion. I had to re-train my finger to work.

Next, I had developed a flinch. Probably because of the pain associated with shooting the .44. Hours and hours of dry firing has helped with those 2 issues.

Eye sight was another issue. I just didn't want to scope the revolver or my Rossi 92. It took a lot of playing around with different strength glasses and aperture devices for the glasses to be able to see the sights and the targets.

Since ammo was/is in short supply, I realized that I needed to start reloading to have ammo and to have the ammo I really need for hunting situation. Wow, this hobby has been a blast (pun intended).

I studied every revolver shooting video I could find on the net and came up with a style that worked for me.

With lots of shooting I was consistently getting 1 1/2" groups at 15 yard. By Nov. I was shooting less than 2 1/2 inch group at 25 yards.

I worked hard to get this pig, but man was it sweet when he hit the ground.

I'm posting my journey in hopes that it might inspire others who have obstacles in their way.
THAT...explains that smile my brother. Very cool. Thanks for sharing the journey with us!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
TGC

Post by TGC »

Moon Tree wrote: With lots of shooting I was consistently getting 1 1/2" groups at 15 yard. By Nov. I was shooting less than 2 1/2 inch group at 25 yards.
I like the fact that you practiced at reasonable ranges, not the 175 yards (you know what i mean) that you see alot of times.

Really good job on the hog.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Thank you for taking the time to write this up and add the photo. It was very enjoyable and I tip my hat to everyone who will persist and find the reward at the end of the hard work. Thank You ! Nice pig also !
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks Mike, It's been a labor of love. Seventeen months ago when I bought the BH I took it out to my bow range to shoot it at 15 yards. I immediately realize I had a lot of work to do. My grouping was about 8". THEN reality really set in. Being on the bow range I made the comparison. With my self made osage bow shooting bamboo arrow, I could group 2" all day long at 15 yards. OH MY GOD, I shoot a bow better than I can shoot the revolver. Heck I even shot the bow better at 30 yards than I did the BH at 15 yards. Practice, practice and more practice.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.